Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 35" bushwheels

Default Re: 35" bushwheels

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Swapping Grove wheels/tires requires splitting the caliper and having a disc mounted on each wheel. With the Beringer wheels can't you pull the wheels without disturbing the disc and caliper? (Brake disc is splined to the wheel and stays with the caliper on the airplane)

If this is going to be a twice a year swap the convenience might justify the cost.
    Once the plane is safely raised it takes 15 minutes per side to change Grove wheels over.

Swapping Grove wheels/tires requires splitting the caliper and having a disc mounted on each wheel. With the Beringer wheels can't you pull the wheels without disturbing the disc and caliper? (Brake disc is splined to the wheel and stays with the caliper on the airplane)

If this is going to be a twice a year swap the convenience might justify the cost.
    Very interesting. I’ve been reading about the ALIR system and its protection against noseovers as well. As a low time tail wheel pilot, a protection system like that seems valuable, although I’m unsure just how effective it is.

Also, I am not sure what brakes will be compatible with the summit wheel penetration skis in terms of mounting clearances.
    Last edited by Narwhal747; 06-06-2021 at 01:13 PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCUtlSfGtCI&t=338s

Here is where Greg Miller extols the virtues of 35's.

What model and year do you see this flexing problem? I have not noticed any front pedal flexing in my 2020 FX-3. It has metal plates between the pedals and the floor.

I once had a rear pedal save in a Champ. Right front pedal full travel and about to overshoot the runway turnoff and into the weeds. Quick hand to the right rear pedal saved the day.
    I have a 2015 EX and it has the stainless plates on the floor, however, as thin as they are they provide very little if an strength to the area. I've also always use stainless braid lines in my planes with 31" to get the maximum stopping power. It's interesting that you have used your passenger brakes that way also.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Just a quick comment on covered gear and yes SS brake lines deform less and therefore provide better braking sensitivity (and durability).

If you are planning on using big tires for off airport fun, I would offer that it will take only a couple of landings before you have holes in your gear covering.

I choose not to cover and have added clear 3M vinyl (automotive) tape to the front of the gear legs to help prevent rock chipping the paint.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    Just a quick comment on covered gear and yes SS brake lines deform less and therefore provide better braking sensitivity (and durability).

If you are planning on using big tires for off airport fun, I would offer that it will take only a couple of landings before you have holes in your gear covering.

I choose not to cover and have added clear 3M vinyl (automotive) tape to the front of the gear legs to help prevent rock chipping the paint.
    good points. I’m being greedy and trying to build an off airport machine that will still do 130 mph TAS, at least on 8.50’s. Any idea how big a deal it is to remove the gear leg fabric if it gets too worn out?

I have never removed fabric just patched it, so cannot say. PolyFiber is easy to patch, it will be the top coat/color to match that could be difficult.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

I was warned against covered gear but chose it anyway. I reasoned that I could always remove the fabric and have uncovered gear if it got too ratty. For covered gear the hidden gear legs are probably white powder coat. I would want them yellow to match the rest of the airplane so it's more work than just removing the fabric and expecting to find a perfectly color matched gear underneath.

I haven't taken my FX-3 anywhere extreme but I have lots of landings on rocky runways and a few at a high meadow that is quite rocky. My gear covering is, as of today, undamaged.

I don't think I ever saw 130 TAS even on the 8.50 tires but I never ran it WOT in cruise. I find it's better to go a bit slower with the potential to save a fuel stop.

I was warned against covered gear but chose it anyway. I reasoned that I could always remove the fabric and have uncovered gear if it got too ratty. For covered gear the hidden gear legs are probably white powder coat. I would want them yellow to match the rest of the airplane so it's more work than just removing the fabric and expecting to find a perfectly color matched gear underneath.

I haven't taken my FX-3 anywhere extreme but I have lots of landings on rocky runways and a few at a high meadow that is quite rocky. My gear covering is, as of today, undamaged.

I don't think I ever saw 130 TAS even on the 8.50 tires but I never ran it WOT in cruise. I find it's better to go a bit slower with the potential to save a fuel stop.
    Interesting! I land on a lot of gravel/rocky strips on 8.50's in the cessna and honestly haven't noticed that much rock damage, granted I am cautious never to use high RPM while stopped or rolling very slowly, and judiciously apply power for takeoffs from a rolling start. I would've expected to see missing paint and dents if I was hitting a lot of rocks. Then again, maybe some of the things that would puncture fabric just bounce off of painted metal....

You have good technique. Most damage done to a covered LG is aggressive throttle blowing rocks onto the gear (or just bad luck) or in some cases going thru puddles that splashes junk forward and then getting blown onto the gear or chipping the prop (ask me how I know).
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL