Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: TacAero FX-3 Training - Fredericksburg, TX

Default Re: TacAero FX-3 Training - Fredericksburg, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhal747 View Post
    Did you find the FX3 nose heavy at all? I'm considering going with the baby bush and acme stinger to add some weight back there, especially considering I have the option to always fly off gravel runways (although there is a 1/2 mile pavement taxi involved to get there from my hangar). Either way, I'm guessing electric trim and a CFI in the backseat helps with forward CG.
    I'd suggest looking at the weight and balance for your specific aircraft. My FX-3 is at the forward CG limit with full fuel nothing in the baggage compartment. I normally fly solo and with not less than 15 lb in aft baggage. Not nose heavy and more than enough of elevator authority for 3 point landings.

The stock tail wheel configuration is more than adequate for gravel runways, and a lot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I'd suggest looking at the weight and balance for your specific aircraft. My FX-3 is at the forward CG limit with full fuel nothing in the baggage compartment. I normally fly solo and with not less than 15 lb in aft baggage. Not nose heavy and more than enough of elevator authority for 3 point landings.

The stock tail wheel configuration is more than adequate for gravel runways, and a lot worse.
    Thanks Roy and Andy.

There's a lot of water cooler talk at work about the virtues of the FX2 over the FX3 for lighter weights and better handling qualities due to a farther aft CG. Then again, the people I'm talking to about it have no experience flying an FX3 afaik. I am planning to EVENTUALLY take my FX3 off airport quite a bit (in AK) but I'm going to want 100 hours or so in the airplane before I venture off of anything that isn't at least an "airstrip". I might just keep it on 8.50's and the 3200 tailwheel initially while I learn to fly the thing, even though I know 8.50's will be challenging compared to bushwheels (I only have 20 hours of total tailwheel time, the rest of logbook time effectively means jack squat). Anyway, fun things to think about while I wait for my build slot. I want the 8.50's for penetration skis anyway. I have signed up for the week long Tac Aero course, again because I only have 20 hours tailwheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post

I’ll add to Andy’s comments re weight in the aft compartment. I had several people tell me before I got mine, that the FX3 needed at least 20lbs in the back to help with CG. I usually keep about 40lbs of stuff in the back and have never felt like I needed more or that she was nose heavy. I usually fly solo with full tanks.

The elevator authority for landing is helped a lot by keeping about 1500rpm in on flare. It’s a technique you will learn at TacAero.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsquared View Post
    I’ll add to Andy’s comments re weight in the aft compartment. I had several people tell me before I got mine, that the FX3 needed at least 20lbs in the back to help with CG. I usually keep about 40lbs of stuff in the back and have never felt like I needed more or that she was nose heavy. I usually fly solo with full tanks.

The elevator authority for landing is helped a lot by keeping about 1500rpm in on flare. It’s a technique you will learn at TacAero.
    Thanks. I have to fly with about 20 lbs of survival gear by state law anyway. My 182 is very nose heavy too, I fly around with 30 lbs of ballast in addition to the survival gear. Furthermore, I also use power to flare that airplane, although I wouldn't necessarily say I keep the power on all the way down.

It does make me lean more toward the ACME tail stinger. 4 or 5 extra pounds on the tail could make a big difference, I'd think.

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhal747 View Post
    My 182 is very nose heavy too, I fly around with 30 lbs of ballast in addition to the survival gear. Furthermore, I also use power to flare that airplane, although I wouldn't necessarily say I keep the power on all the way down.
    The FX-3 flare is nothing like a 182. FX-3 has relatively light pitch force and lots of elevator authority. If you make high drag slow approaches in the FX-3 you need to add power at flare to check the sink rate anyway. I have a few hundred hours flying jumpers in a 182. If the jump master came down with me he always sat against the back wall for landing. So at least 200 lb in the back and the 182 flare is as sweet as an FX-3 with 15-20 lb in the back.

Even at the forward CG limit the FX-3 does not "feel" nose heavy.
    Last edited by Andy; 05-04-2021 at 07:07 AM.

The other “characteristic” that was noticeable to me was you will lose elevator authority if you come in at power idle. It happened predictably flying that slower approach in the 50mph range right in ground effect. Nothing bad, you juts come to expect it and bring in a little power. Couple hundred rpm. That extra power really assisted in transitioning to a pitch cup 3 point attitude and softened the landing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ---------------------------------------
    Roy Diaz
    Midland, TX
    KMDD
    CC FX3

----------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by rdiaz View Post
    The other “characteristic” that was noticeable to me was you will lose elevator authority if you come in at power idle. It happened predictably flying that slower approach in the 50mph range right in ground effect. Nothing bad, you juts come to expect it and bring in a little power. Couple hundred rpm. That extra power really assisted in transitioning to a pitch cup 3 point attitude and softened the landing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Andy and Roy! Can’t wait to get a taste of the Fx3 at tac aero then in my own airplane next year!