Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Belly Pods and CO levels

Default Re: Belly Pods and CO levels

Quote Originally Posted by hawgdrvr View Post
    This was in my aircraft spruce email today. Any opinions? I like that it's something always monitoring and can alert vs. me having to take readings or just use a cheap card attached to the dash that may not catch my attention when there is a problem.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...es/co_w500.php

If you're going to spend that much why not consider one that will interface with the G3X system?

https://aithreaviation.com/products/...oxide-detector

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    If you're going to spend that much why not consider one that will interface with the G3X system?

https://aithreaviation.com/products/...oxide-detector
    I wasn't aware of that. Very cool. Thanks for the suggestion.

I wasn't aware of that. Very cool. Thanks for the suggestion.
    From the G3X Touch Installation Manual -

"2.1.1.21 Carbon Monoxide Detector

A CO Guardian or other compatible carbon monoxide detector can be connected to a GDU display via
    RS-232, and its data relayed to other displays via the CAN bus. Alerts will appear on the PFD display for
    excessive carbon monoxide levels, and the current CO level can be displayed in a data field. CO detectors
    with pulse oximeter functions are also supported. For installation information, consult the CO detector
    manufacturer."

How to install would be the next question. I ordered it to have with me at build week which I'm headed to Yakima soon. I'll see if the avionics person can take care of this for me at build time. Having an integrated CO system and alarm is perfect. I'm also an iPhone user with Apple Watch so those integrations will be great too. I plan to order a carbon concepts cargo pod so the CO situation is something I want to stay on top of.

Got the new Lewaero belly pod mounted on my CC SS. Two CO monitors in the cockpit. No CO detected. Plan to try a variety of vent and/or heat setting as well as different power levels. So far so good.

Have not competed G3X calibration for fuel quantity.

I have made one low power (44%) airspeed calibration run with the pod and it appears the pod increases speed by about 2 mph. Nothing to get excited about but clearly there is no cruise airspeed penalty associated with the pod.

Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Quote Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
    Got the new Lewaero belly pod mounted on my CC SS. Two CO monitors in the cockpit. No CO detected. Plan to try a variety of vent and/or heat setting as well as different power levels. So far so good.

Have not competed G3X calibration for fuel quantity.

I have made one low power (44%) airspeed calibration run with the pod and it appears the pod increases speed by about 2 mph. Nothing to get excited about but clearly there is no cruise airspeed penalty associated with the pod.

I also have the Lewaero pod on my CC-EX and experience some CO during ground operations (12-15 ppm). 0 CO in the air.

The Lewareo pods are very nicely made. It looks good on your plane Bob.

My Pocket CO 300 monitor has died and they're telling me they no longer sell or support it. The company is now selling the Sparrow CO monitor that bluetooths with a phone. https://www.ecosensors.com/product/sparrow/
    Does anyone here have experience with this unit?
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

How to install would be the next question. I ordered it to have with me at build week which I'm headed to Yakima soon. I'll see if the avionics person can take care of this for me at build time. Having an integrated CO system and alarm is perfect. I'm also an iPhone user with Apple Watch so those integrations will be great too. I plan to order a carbon concepts cargo pod so the CO situation is something I want to stay on top of.
    Neil, installation is easy once you get access to behind the panel - 5V power, ground, and analog output wire. If you have the G3X and GEA24, then you just hookup to the 5V power pin and put the analog white wire into one of the available input pins using a d-sub pin. It works as an engine type gauge. No RS-232 or special programming required. More details on our page: www.aithreaviation.com under resources & instructions menu item.

Feel free to contact me if you have any issues.

Jim Ruttler, President & Founder
    Aithre, Inc.
    RV-10 Built & Flying 41103
    ASEL w/ Instrument Rating
    206-920-8062 (mobile)

Quote Originally Posted by jim_ruttler View Post
    Neil, installation is easy once you get access to behind the panel - 5V power, ground, and analog output wire. If you have the G3X and GEA24, then you just hookup to the 5V power pin and put the analog white wire into one of the available input pins using a d-sub pin. It works as an engine type gauge. No RS-232 or special programming required. More details on our page: www.aithreaviation.com under resources & instructions menu item.

Feel free to contact me if you have any issues.

Aithre, Inc.
    206-920-8062 (mobile)
    Jim, I have one of your EX2.0 coming tomorrow. I have a Carbon Cub with the GEA24 installed high in back of the panel against the firewall with the P243 plug in a very hard place to get to without some disassembly of the panel.

Looking at the documentation it would appear using the IOS app on an iPhone/iPad and/or iWatch may actually be a better way to monitor CO. As long as the EX2.0 has 5V to the main bus and paired to the IOS devices is it pretty much set and forget to monitor CO on these devices? Or do you have to wake up IOS device and select the app to get monitoring working every time you power up the airplane?
    Last edited by turbopilot; 01-28-2021 at 12:48 PM.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Quote Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
    Jim, I have one of your EX2.0 coming tomorrow. I have a Carbon Cub with the GEA24 installed high in back of the panel against the firewall with the P243 plug in a very hard place to get to without some disassembly of the panel.

Looking at the documentation it would appear using the IOS app on an iPhone/iPad and/or iWatch may actually be a better way to monitor CO. As long as the EX2.0 has 5V to the main bus and paired to the IOS devices is it pretty much set and forget to monitor CO on these devices? Or do you have to wake up IOS device and select the app to get monitoring working every time you power up the airplane?
    Hi Bob,

We designed the EX2 and EX3 to work with Dynon, Garmin, and Advanced independently of the iOS app. This way, folks without glass avionics can still benefit from the monitoring using the app. So, yes, you can install it independent of the G3X. That being said, it is really nice to have the graphical gauge on your G3X, so you may just do a quick install now without the GEA24 and then hook it up at annual or the next time you are back there.

Note, that the newer EX2 work with 12V - so you could also just hook it up to the battery downstream of the avionics switch with a simple 500 mA or 1 A fuse to protect the wires. There are onboard fuses and diodes on the EX 2 for the electronics.

As far as the app goes, it pairs automatically when the app is open. The EX 2 is constantly monitoring with updates ever 12 seconds. You can open the app at anytime to get the data. If the app is in the foreground or background on your iOS device, you'll get notifications. If you pair your headset to your phone, Siri will even talk to you and let you know when you've crossed 2ppm, 10ppm, 50ppm, or your own custom level you define.

These devices are very sensitive to CO and we design, make, and calibrate them by hand here in Sun Valley Idaho. Don't be surprised to find CO. I've got 15ppm in climbs and typically under 5ppm in cruise. Sealing up firewall holes and gear leg - fuselage interfaces helps.

-Jim

Aithre, Inc.
    206-920-8062 (mobile)
    Last edited by jim_ruttler; 01-28-2021 at 01:11 PM.