Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New AeroLED Landing Lights

Default New AeroLED Landing Lights

I recently added a new circuit and wiring to install the AeroLED SunSpot landing lights on my FX-3, and the difference is pretty amazing. Hoping to get a video finished soon with all of the specifics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: New AeroLED Landing Lights

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Graham View Post
    I recently added a new circuit and wiring to install the AeroLED SunSpot landing lights on my FX-3, and the difference is pretty amazing. Hoping to get a video finished soon with all of the specifics.
    What model light did you use?
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Graham View Post
    Is this a replacement for the lights already in the wings or did you add additional lights mounted somewhere else?

Do the wing lights even work well for night landings as I hear they are aimed too high and some have attached lights to the landing gear struts.

Quote Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
    What model light did you use?
    Bob,

I used the HX-36 4313. It does require running wires from the wing roots to the lights, and adding a 15A circuit.

https://aeroleds.com/products/sunspo...landing-pulse/

Quote Originally Posted by hawgdrvr View Post
    Is this a replacement for the lights already in the wings or did you add additional lights mounted somewhere else?

Do the wing lights even work well for night landings as I hear they are aimed too high and some have attached lights to the landing gear struts.
    It is a replacement for the existing factory lights, but you do have to run a new set of wires and add a new circuit.
    The stock lights are not very good for night landings, as they are just not bright enough. You can see the difference in the before and after pictures.

The new lights are aimed exactly the same, they just have a wider field and significantly greater lumens.

I also added the AeroLED MicroSun's on the cabane strut as taxi lights. The landing lights are will work as taxi lights, but they are entirely too bright to use on the ground, and the slight upward angle would blind anyone on final if you were taxiing toward the end of the runway.

I'll have some more pics of the entire setup shortly, and hopefully get a video completed. There's a lot that went into the entire project, but it was well worth the effort.

May be something I should consider ordering and taking for my build week?

Quote Originally Posted by hawgdrvr View Post
    May be something I should consider ordering and taking for my build week?
    It would definitely be great if the factory would just add these as an option, but I don't think they are doing that right now.

The project is a little more complicated than just swapping bulbs and running a few wires. There are changes to the landing light switch, as the AeroLED's already have a built in pulse circuit, and don't use the control box that CC installs.

Regardless of the amount of work, I can tell you it is definitely worth doing in the end. I love to fly at night, and these lights are a game changer.

This is where I added the new 15A circuit to power the landing lights:

The previous landing circuit was then relabeled to use for the new taxi lights:

Looks awesome. Where did you have the parts for all of that made?