Thread: Amsafe airbag advice

Rowe, NM; St. George Island, FL; Montgomery, AL

Question Amsafe airbag advice

Hi, all. My name is Jim Harper (duh, based on my forum name...). Anyway, I've been dancing around the decision to buy a Carbon Cub SS for several months now, and am just a couple of weeks from pulling the trigger. I think I am comfortable with all of my choices save one. My local mechanic (in Montgomery AL) whom I both like and trust, strongly encourages me to get the Amsafe airbags (he is the local dealer for the airbags). My dealer (I am buying the airplane for use in New Mexico, so that'd be Patrick Romano) encourages me to NOT get them. I've dutifully searched the forum, and the only comments on the airbags is that they may be tough to get service on and if they are not serviceable, the airplane would naturally be down.

Logically, with what appears to be a serious set of shoulder straps on a 4 point restraint system and given the slow speed that we are likely to be hitting anything (how's the old saying go...the Cub is slow enough that it can just barely kill you) are the airbags something that makes any sense at all?

What sort of decision did y'all make? Thanks for your time!

Jim

P.S. Patrick...you should be hearing from me no later than the 29th, I hope.

Default Re: Amsafe airbag advice

Hi, Jim;

Welcome <soon> to the CubCrafters family.

I have owned several demo airplanes (both Sport Cubs and Carbon Cubs) with the AmSafe Airbags, and for all the reasons you mention in the second paragraph of your post, my suggestion is not to buy them. Save the money, save the weight, and save the cost of having them tested at every annual condition inspection. AND, as if that wasn't enough, they will feel very heavy on your shoulders after a couple of hours, and they are HOT in the summertime.

Just my $0.02 worth!

Fly Safe!!

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

If you do decide to try them. I have a used set from my S2 I will sell at a very reduced cost if you are interested. They have about 75 hours on them I believe. I don't know what a new set costs but i would be very reasonable. Not doing me much good hanging in the hangar. The internal wiring is still in my plane . I just unplugged them and put old school belts in.
    Rich Kortge 541-980-1168

Rowe, NM; St. George Island, FL; Montgomery, AL

Chip: Thank you, your thinking mirrors mine. Just doesn't seem to make a helluva lot of sense. Which means, Rich, sorry, man, I don't see any good reason to move the airbag harness from your hangar to mine!

I think that's the correct choice. Good luck.

I agree with Patrick and Chip. Not really worth it IMO. They are kind of comfy in the beginning, but it gets old and I don't think the extra weight and expense is needed. Testing them can be a pain since you have to get the tester, but if there is a dealer there near you for the bags, that might not be too much of a problem.