Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sb00020

Default Sb00020

Sport Cub #62 just went in for its condition inspection yesterday. I just happened to be looking at the list of service bulletins, and saw SB00020 (Elevator control system upgrade and mandatory torque tube replacement) which is dated three days ago. Ouch. I hadn't heard of that one before. I forwarded the SB to my shop and they should be calling CC to order the parts today.

How much time and parts cost can be expected for compliance?
    Last edited by Pilawt; 02-09-2012 at 10:48 AM.
    Jeff Jacobs
    Vancouver WA / KVUO
    C-172N-180

Default Re: Sb00020

It would be nice if a cover letter to the Service Bulletins were included as to the why? Then I wouldn't have to guess and make bad assumptions. Seems like we are getting am increase in SB lately. N50KB-#21 mike harbeck

I agree. It does seem like we have received a bunch in a row. Have there been failures? Control failures are nothing to be taken lightly. This is a great concern. I can land the airplane without the prop spinning, but not without control.
    I hope this is precautionary...
    Diana Votaw
    N110CV

Quote Originally Posted by Pilawt View Post
    Sport Cub #62 just went in for its condition inspection yesterday. I just happened to be looking at the list of service bulletins, and saw SB00020 (Elevator control system upgrade and mandatory torque tube replacement) which is dated three days ago. Ouch. I hadn't heard of that one before. I forwarded the SB to my shop and they should be calling CC to order the parts today.

How much time and parts cost can be expected for compliance?
    Just ordered the parts for SB #20. It was quoted as $112. mike

Let me start by saying that we share your frustration with the service bulletin and assure you that there have been no reported failures. Over the last few months we have been carrying out a rigorous audit of the CC11 design. SB020 is a result of this audit. We paid close attention to the design of the bulletin to make it as least intrusive and easy to install as possible. I hope that your feelings of frustration can me ameliorated by the assurance that we are continually scrutinizing the design to ensure that you have the best and safest aircraft possible.

Quote Originally Posted by eric.leaver View Post
    Let me start by saying that we share your frustration with the service bulletin and assure you that there have been no reported failures. Over the last few months we have been carrying out a rigorous audit of the CC11 design. SB020 is a result of this audit. We paid close attention to the design of the bulletin to make it as least intrusive and easy to install as possible. I hope that your feelings of frustration can me ameliorated by the assurance that we are continually scrutinizing the design to ensure that you have the best and safest aircraft possible.
    Eric,
    It is comforting to know there have been no failures in the orginial design. After the first two years of ownership when we had a lot of issues to address with N50KB-#21 S-1 (vibration, cylinders, exhuast systems), it has been fairly maintenance free except for compliance with the occasional CC SB or SA. Is the rigorous engineering audit a desire to bring the S-1 up to the standards of the later models? My main frustration is how tight the maintenance procedures are in comparison to what is allowed under FAR Part 43 for the previous aircraft I have owned.
    Thank you for your quick response.
    mike

Quote Originally Posted by mharbeck View Post
    Eric,
    It is comforting to know there have been no failures in the orginial design. After the first two years of ownership when we had a lot of issues to address with N50KB-#21 S-1 (vibration, cylinders, exhuast systems), it has been fairly maintenance free except for compliance with the occasional CC SB or SA. Is the rigorous engineering audit a desire to bring the S-1 up to the standards of the later models? My main frustration is how tight the maintenance procedures are in comparison to what is allowed under FAR Part 43 for the previous aircraft I have owned.
    Thank you for your quick response.
    mike
    The objectives of the audit are to ensure that as the design evolves, compliance to ASTM standards are always met and to address recurring service difficulties. I would like to take the opportunity to encourage you to fill in the service difficulty reports that are on the Cub Crafters' website. This is the best way for you to provide feedback.

With respect to maintenance procedures, this is more to do with the ASTM standards than anything else. In certain respects, LSA is more restrictive than the Part 23 world. If there are specific issues that are onerous, again, please let us know and we can see if they can be addressed.

Note that on SB20 on the first page it calls for replacing the torque tube as addressed in SB 15 if it wasn't replaced when SB15 came out. I ordered both kits today.

Jon

SB20 1st page...
    "For aircraft S/N 00001 through 00146: 1. If the torque tube was replaced while complying with SB00015 then proceed directly to thesection for all aircraft.2. If the torque tube was not replaced previously then replace the torque tube per SB00015before going to the section for all aircraft.

SB15
    Under Warranty it states....
    "ALL AIRCRAFT WITHIN THE ONE-YEAR WARRANTY PERIODWILL RECEIVE PARTS (IF NEEDED) AT NO CHARGE AND ALABOR REIMBURSEMENT OF UP TO EIGHT HOURS AT A RATEOF $75/HOUR. AIRCRAFT NOT WITHIN THE ONE-YEARWARRANTY PERIOD WILL RECEIVE PARTS (IF NEEDED) AT NOCHARGE.

The shop just finished the work for SB00020 today. The mechanic remarked that he was surprised at the recommended elevator cable tension of 60 pounds (Service Manual Sec. 6.3.5). He asked if there was a reason why it is so much higher than on the legacy Pipers, which he said was around 30. I'm totally ignorant about that, so I just thought I'd pass along the question.
    Jeff Jacobs
    Vancouver WA / KVUO
    C-172N-180

The numbers I remember (off the top of my head) out of the L21 manual (PA18) were something like 35 for ailerons and 50 for elevator (maybe 52 or 55).

Not sure for J3.

Pete