Thread: Winter Flying

Default Winter Flying

Just bought a Top Gear heated jacket. Works awesome in the sport cub. It is light weight and not bulky and will make you too hot on a below freezing day. It will run on a rechargeable battery or a hard wired kit with a wireless thermostat. Bought mine at the local bike shop.
    Rich

Default Re: Winter Flying

I've been meaning to pick something like this up. I think I want the vest type I can wear under my normal coat with a plug that goes in the 12v power socket. Does anyone have any recommendations on that type? I know a few people are using something similar...

Pete D.

Last year I purchased a Gerbing heated vest for motorcycle riding, it works really good and I need to periodically turn it off at 80mph and 40 degrees. Here is the link: http://gerbing.com/Products/Liners/heatedVestLiner.php

Mitch

I have the Jett heated vest...battery, but they last 8 hours on a charge at "medium well". Wife and I love them...haven't even bothered to put on the window "winterizing" kit. Pete...consider battery...we don't just wear them where we have 12V plugs...I wear them frequently in any cold weather. Ralph
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.

Ben Redman, GM
    RARE Aircraft Ltd
    www.rareaircraft.com
    ben@rareaircraft.com
    507-331-8446

Thought I’d revive an old thread and get opinions on heated jacket vs heated vest. I live in the northeast and curious whether people that fly in similar climate have thoughts on whether the vest is good enough and preferable because it’s less bulky

Quote Originally Posted by Centmont View Post
    I have the Jett heated vest...battery, but they last 8 hours on a charge at "medium well". Wife and I love them...haven't even bothered to put on the window "winterizing" kit. Pete...consider battery...we don't just wear them where we have 12V plugs...I wear them frequently in any cold weather. Ralph

Vest so you can wear your normal winter flying coat over top. I've also used the car seat heating pads that plug in with a power plug on long trips in the cold. Heat coming from the bottom up always does wonders, even through layers.

Thanks! I did wind up getting an Ororo heated vest for Christmas. It is awesome, especially glad I went with the vest since its heated all the way from the back of you neck and all around your torso, and still plenty of room to wear it under a ski jacket or a fleece underneath it.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Hammond View Post
    Vest so you can wear your normal winter flying coat over top. I've also used the car seat heating pads that plug in with a power plug on long trips in the cold. Heat coming from the bottom up always does wonders, even through layers.