Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Elevator & Rudder gap seals

Default Re: Elevator & Rudder gap seals

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    But it brings up the question as to why the instructions with the kit don't include inserting a section beyond the hinges? My Carbon Cub is an EX so I guess I'm experimenting here. But I can't see a reason not to go full length. The two extra lengths add over a foot of additional gap seal.
    The engineers were concerned about rentention of the outboard piece and so excluded it from the STC. You're right, with an EX or an ELSA conversion go ahead and install it. Maybe that's why the packaging fairies provided the extra length? ;-)
    Randy Lervold

We have a EX customer here that is somewhat local with the gap seal all the way. Probably has at least 3-400 hours with it that way and I have seen no evidence whatsoever of any part of it shifting.

Pete D

Thumbs up Re: Elevator & Rudder gap seals

I installed the gap seals on my ELSA Carbon Cub today and after 6 landings I can see a definite improvement in the low speed handling.
    Both the elevator and rudder authority, at low speeds, has improved.
    I installed the seals all the way on the horizontal stabilizer.
    I can't tell any difference in stick force.
    Well worth the price.
    I hope they stay in place.

Note: If you buy a set for the Carbon Cub or the Sport Cub don't cut the seals the way the STC instruction say.
    Measure your gaps and cut accordingly.
    Bill
    Last edited by seastar; 12-12-2011 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seastar View Post
    I installed the gap seals on my ELSA Carbon Cub today and after 6 landings I can see a definite improvement in the low speed handling.
    Both the elevator and rudder authority, at low speeds, has improved.
    I installed the seals all the way on the horizontal stabilizer.
    I can't tell any difference in stick force.
    Well worth the price.
    I hope they stay in place.

Note: If you buy a set for the Carbon Cub or the Sport Cub don't cut the seals the way the STC instruction say.
    Measure your gaps and cut accordingly.
    Bill
    They can be installed on SLSA with a Letter of Authorization for the aircraft. We hope to have them rolled into the drawing system soon so they can be installed with just a log book entry.

Simple mod if it works well maybe you guys can expand the stc to other piper longwings with PA-18 tailfeathers.
    Last edited by Ndill; 12-13-2011 at 06:10 PM.

I used to fly a J-3 were the owner used leading edge tape for seals, (unknown to me he took it off one day always raged him about that ugly tape) there was a considerable differance when in slow flight and landing.
    I ordered mine last week should be here any day. Any body tried to paint to match plane? Nobody has said exactly what there made of.
    Chuck

Smile Re: Elevator & Rudder gap seals

I thought about painting the top side, at least, (both on the rudder) but it was too cold at the hanger and I wanted to try them.
    My tail feathers are silver so a rattle can of aluminum paint would work.
    I am going to try paint on a small piece of the seals I had left over and see if there is any damage.
    They don't look too bad the way they are.
    Bill
    Last edited by seastar; 12-14-2011 at 06:41 AM.

It would be interesting to see if paint would stick but I doubt it. I believe it is a silicone based material.

Pete D.

Thanks to the shipping fairies I had enough material to fill all the gaps in the tail, which I did.

Made a couple of flights. Airplane does feel different (better) below 75 mph. Will full flaps, below 75 mph without the gap seals my stick always had a significant vibration. I thought it was the wash off the flaps over the elevators.

Not so sure now. With gap seals the stick vibration is almost gone below 75 mph. Pitch control feels firmer at low speeds just before touch down.

Don't really sense any difference in the rudder yet. Need to make more flights.

IMG2092-L.jpg
    Last edited by turbopilot; 12-14-2011 at 09:10 PM.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Installed gap seals last night. Instructions with LOA state cut gap seals 31 1/2" for inboard elevator.cut two 10 1/4" for out board elevator. Last page Continued Airworthiness (Warning) operations not permitted inboard elevator gaps seal must be at least 36"?There isnt 36" between hinges. Misprint?
    Thanks Chuck