Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: squelch

Default squelch

Anyway to adjust squelch? xm radio is constantly cutting out.I can move my head quickly and it will cut out.Have tryed different headsets doesnt change.(bose,zulu)
    Thanks
    Chuck

Default Re: squelch

What intercom system? I'm guessing it is the PM1200, with the volume knobs in the upper left wing root? No squelch on that one....

Pete D.

Pete
    Yes.
    So Im sure im not the only one with this problem whats the fix?
    Thanks Chuck

I'm not sure there is a real good fix. Sometimes foam mike muffs can help. If you are flying with the doors or vents open and have air blowing around in the cabin there is not a lot you can do with the PM1200. If you do not have anyone in the back seat, make sure that headset is not plugged in, that will help for sure.

The best intercom we have to offer is the PM3000. It is stereo, has manual squelch and a "karaoke" mode that will not mute the music input when it gets other inputs via the mike. It can be retrofitted, but the harness all the way up to the jacks needs to be changed, and you need some space in the panel for it. Not real cheap but we've done it once or twice.

Pete D.

Pete
    Fly with the door up in a cub?Doesnt make much since put a intercom in a cub that doesnt like wind noise.Had the door up yestarday vents closed still cut out two or three times seems over sensitive.I'm sure I'll figure something out.
    Thanks Chuck

There are some mike muffs that do better than others, you might look at options for that. I'm not sure who makes them, but there are some that are a foam muff, that then has a little leather like one that goes over the top of the foam one with a couple of small holes that face your mouth.

Pete D

Pete
    Thanks already tryed all those things before i asked.Probably going to figure a way to hook direct to head sets or I have the portable intercom out of my other cub it always worked perfect.I will figure something out.I Like listening to radio when flying.
    Thanks Chuck

Hi Chuck, Here is what I found after many trials with the Bose and Zulus eventually using Zulus as my opinion is they soud way quieter than the Bose:

The xm radio through the Intercom cannot be set so that the music does not turn off when transmitting or recieving so only way I found to have constant xm music is to turn down the volume on the comm and not talk, which I agree is a pain.
    As for dampening the mic so that the general exterior noise does not cut off the music, I found that the Zulu works as follows:
    1) use a large foam mic cover and a leather cover that Pete discussed and also cover the front hole on the leather cover and keep the mic very tight against your lips.
    2) The zulu ( Bose does not have one) has a mic gain adjustment on the mic itself ( behind the little plastic cap) which you can turn up and it will eventally stop the cut out. Takes a bit of experimenting but I got there.

Lastly if you hook up a ipod or other music device to the Zulus either via Blue Tooth or direct wire, the Zulus DO have a button which allows the music to play without cut off when transmitting or recieving and works and sounds much better than the XM.

Hope that helps Best Gary
    Last edited by glickle; 10-11-2011 at 02:34 PM.

Thanks Gary
    I have 2 zulu and 3 bose head sets I would have to agree with you until i just got the new bose they are probably twice as quiet as my zulu.I actually had a guy reach for the key to restart my plane when i turned them on he thought the engine shut off.I think im going to hard wire to the head set as bose doesnt blue tooth music figure that.If you get a chance put a new bose on it is unreal quiet and with the noise of 4 into none you realy need it.I always had zulu in my old cub I thought they were much quieter than the bose but not as comfortable on long trips but I have to admit the new bose beats them hands down.I tryed all the muff tricks, Ive never close my door unless on a trip or cold, there isnt any wind noise just enough to cut music in and out. The wierd part is I can turn my head quick or touch the mic boom( door closed) and music cuts out on any of the headsets?It doesnt do it in my 182.So i was hoping for some kind of squelch adjustment. I use to blue tooth my Ipone music it does sound much better. Never thought about going back to that?
    I had somebody give me one of those new sennheiser digital head set for doing him a favor I tryed it last night that is the worst head set I have ever put on, big bulky, mic wasnt long enough so I had to hold it over by my mouth, wind noise was unreal.Karen tryed them said i must of I forgot to turn them on which i didnt. I gave it back to him told him to get his money back.
    Thanks for the help.
    Chuck
    Havent seen the stearman fly by lately?

Most of the planes I get to fly do not have the XM turned on, so if I want music I stream Pandora on my smart phone, blue tooth to the headset. If I have a back seater that wants to hear it, I plug into the aux audio jack. (or use the 1/8 stereo input off of the GPS on the older a/c)

Pete D.