Thread: Aveo LED Lights Retrofit

Default Aveo LED Lights Retrofit

New retrofit info!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Becky Teerink

Default Re: Aveo LED Lights Retrofit

Quote Originally Posted by Becky Teerink View Post
    New retrofit info!
    I flew with them last night and they seems so much brighter than the original lights. A very worthwhile upgrade. And they look really cool.
    -tom

Becky - Fuselage is pre-wired for lights. Is rudder pre-wired? Are drawings/kit available for installing circuit breaker and Aveo LED strobe switch for Sport Cubs without previously installed position lights?

Becky - Good questions here. As you know, I have been trying to sell N360CC, which does not have lights. But, I understand that the wiring is there; just a matter of installing the actual lights / strobes, and connecting the existing wires. Is that correct? What about the landing light?

Thanks,

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

Good questions, gentlemen.
    You're right, the wings and the fuselage do have strobe wires. The rudder, however, is not pre-wired, and in some cases does not have the mount for installing the light itself (look for a round mount on the aft, lower third portion of the rudder). If the mount is there, the wires can be fished through the rudder. Between the schematics in the maintenance manual and the wiring diagrams in the Aveo info, any qualified A&P will be able to wire this system. Wires will also have to be run down the door posts.
    If there is no mount in the back of the rudder, it will need to be shipped here to be modified, recovered, and repainted ($625 plus shipping). Depending on the paint scheme, count on being down for 2-3 weeks, plus shipping.
    As far as the landing light goes, there is no way to retrofit it easily. That would be a major operation, and very costly.
    Becky Teerink

I have to politely ask...did we finally get approval for night flying? As many of you know, this is an ongoing discussion. Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by Centmont View Post
    I have to politely ask...did we finally get approval for night flying? As many of you know, this is an ongoing discussion. Ralph
    Great question, Ralph - let me look into that.
    Becky Teerink

Quote Originally Posted by Centmont View Post
    Hi Ralph,
    You're right, this is an ongoing discussion! Let me provide a little background... When we started building and delivering aircraft, ASTM had not completed the rules for LSA Night VFR. A few of you were promised that we would soon have Night VFR certification, but we had to wait until ASTM released the guidelines. We assumed all along that the rules would be equal to or less stringent than FAR 23. However, when the rules were finalized they had additional requirements above and beyond FAR 23. The requirements include dimmable instrument lights, glareshield, attitude indicator (which I know you have, but most do not), illuminated switches, certain electrical load percentages, etc.
    In a way, we were at the mercy of ASTM and their new rules took us by surprise. The time and resources it would take to complete the project are massive and a few weeks ago the senior staff decided that this is not something we can pursue. On the other hand, any S-LSA that is converted to E-LSA with our night lighting package as we delivered them would be legal to fly at night (assuming one gyro is in the plane.) I understand that this is frustrating, Ralph. Please call me to discuss this further. Thanks, Becky
    Becky Teerink