Thread: Borer Prop

Default Borer Prop

Has anyone put a Borer prop on their O-340 Carbon Cub? If so I'm wondering what pitch seemed to work best for good take-off and climb performance?

My guess is that a 44" would be about right but would like to hear first hand if possible.

Thanks.

Default Re: Borer Prop

I believe there was one installed on our demo, N155PC, for a while. There have most definitely not been vibration surveys done on that engine/prop combo however. Aluminum props do indeed have resonances just like a tuning fork so you'd want to watch out for that. ECi has plans to do doing some vibration surveys soon on the CC340 with several props. Mitch, please try to make sure the McCauley gets included.
    Randy Lervold

I received one of the new Catto 80 x 50 nickel leading edge props and bolted it on. My initial reaction on my first takeoff was wow, my tail has never jumped up that quick before. And while that thought was going through my head my airspeed zoomed through my usual takeoff speed.

Static rpm is 2400 at 55 degrees and 2900 field elevation. WOT at 4500' and 55 degrees is 2700 rpm.

I'll have to check those numbers against my old Catto but my memory is 2520 static and 2800 WOT under the same conditions. In the static test with the new prop I couldn't quite hold it from creeping. I could hold it before.

So far I'm very impressed. More testing (I mean fun) to follow.

IMG_0261.jpg

4SEP12

I flew with the new prop a few hours over the long weekend and made a lot of take-off's and landings. My impression now is that it responds more like a Borer with a reduction in RPM, like when coming in on final. It seems to have more of a braking effect with small reductions in thrust. I didn't notice that so much with the original Catto - not at all like a Borer. Also the airspeed seems a little better on the lower RPM side of things. Even with the big 31's, safety cables and BB tailwheel my MPG is in the high teens when I'm 2100 RPM or so. I'd think a clean Carbon Cub would be quite a bit better.

Take-off's are sudden. Especially when light as I was with 10 gallons or less of fuel. And I'm at density altitudes of 4000' or better. I'm used to tanking up with 44 gallons and keeping topped off often because I don't have fuel at my home airport and often my destinations don't have fuel either.

The weight of the new prop and old version was the same at about 12.5 pounds.

I checked my numbers mentioned in the first post with the original Catto and they're correct.
    Last edited by Dan L; 09-04-2012 at 01:36 PM. Reason: added image and comments

Sounds exciting. What is the possibility it will make on new production units?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt.KMQJ View Post
    What is the possibility it will make on new production units?
    We are waiting for further vibration surveys to be conducted by Craig Catto. The next set is schedule for 9/10 in YKM. If there are no potentially destructive resonances then he'll begin production and do the ASTM certification and we will offer them on manufactured SLSA aircraft.
    Randy Lervold

I think Royce Anderson may have been or is running a Borer prop on his experimental amphib.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Is anyone else using one of these Catto 80 x50 props now?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Rowe, NM; St. George Island, FL; Montgomery, AL

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    Is anyone else using one of these Catto 80 x50 props now?
    Mine should be delivered on Friday!

Jim

Been running one since early November and best prop yet! Amazing climb performance and increase by 5-7mph also which does not sound possible. Craig Catto is a man of his word also and stands behind his work. Best Gary