Thread: Questions and images

Default Questions and images

I put an Electronics VAVI amp and volt gauge in my kit and notice that the amp draw is in the 4.0 amp area most of the time. At lower RPM's it is in the 3+ amp range. I've used this same gauge in two other planes and after 20 minutes or so the amp draw is normally down under 1.0 amps - just maintaining the battery. Is the higher amp draw with the Carbon Cub and the O-340 due to the electronic ignition asking for a higher demand from the system?

I'm putting together an Excel file with an equipment list with weight & balance included for each item. Does someone have an accurate arm length for the battery location, ELT, and engine with accessories?

Here's a few recent images from N338MH where it is right at home:

DSCN1944.jpg

Playing on the gravel bars on the Clark Fork.

DSCN1943.jpg

Out in the hayfield with one of the guys I work with in his Cub.

DSCN1950.jpg

Up at the cabins.

SANY0029.jpg

First landing.

SANY0030.jpg

A happy builder right after his first landing.

DSCN1975.jpg

15AUG11 More gravel bar hopping. I'm getting acquainted with the toe brakes more and keeping my directional control in line easier when I'm really getting on the brakes. When I'm light it isn't too hard to get stopped in 150' or so now with our typical summertime 4000' density altitude.

DSCN1963.jpg

DSCN1959.jpg

DSCN1964.jpg

DSCN1935.jpg

DSCN1974.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dan L; 08-24-2011 at 02:03 PM. Reason: added images

Default Re: Questions and images

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    Is the higher amp draw with the Carbon Cub and the O-340 due to the electronic ignition asking for a higher demand from the system?
    Dan, yes, the electronic ignitions draw 1.1-4.0 amps each depending on engine speed and the temp of the brain. Also, a master contactor draws an amp just to keep it open. No worries though, with a 40 amp alternator you've got lots of capacity.
    Randy Lervold

Absoutly spectacular pictures. Thanks. Bill Hamsa

Rob and I bounced around some more on the gravel bars and over on his dad's ranch a few days ago.

DSCN1978.jpg

DSCN1983.jpgDSCN1984.jpgDSCN1985.jpg

I'm just about past my 40 hour leash now with the Experimental Airworthiness phase one restrictions. My inital comments on the flight characteristics remain the same. I had not commented on the greater width in the Carbon Cub as compared to a Super Cub. I like the elbow room and additional cargo area a lot. The only drawback is the more limited downward visibility. In my PA18 I had plexi on the lower door so straight downward visibility was great. That's a benefit for surveying potential landing areas and other observation. And I also liked to be able to easily look out when on the ground and make sure my tire was not ramped up against an object I might want to move once stopped; like a big rock or branch etc. Or see what the snow looked like when on skis. That isn't as easy now but I do like the extra room.

I also like the left window opening just like the right side.

I'm having a blast in the new Carbon Cub.

6SEP11 added images below.

DSCN2020.jpg

On a ridge about 4500' elevation.

DSCN2021.jpg

Same ridge afterwards. The LZ is to the right of center and on the long sloping flat.

DSCN2014.jpg

DSCN2015.jpg

The above two images are from the same general area as the 4500' ridge images but perched on a little flat knob a few miles away. (Two views of the same LZ.)
    Last edited by Dan L; 09-06-2011 at 08:24 AM. Reason: added images