Thread: The Cub in the Last Dog Fight of WWII

Wink The Last Dog Fight of WWII

I came upon this little bit of history and thought I would pass it on... Oh yes, you're driving a fearsome fighter aircraft. ;-)

The MISS ME was an unarmed Piper Cub. While spotting for the US artillery her pilot saw a similar German plane doing the same thing. He dove on the German plane and he and his co-pilot fired their pistols damaging the German plane enough that it had to make a forced landing. Whereupon they landed and took the Germans prisoner. I don't know where they put them since the MISS ME only had 2 seats.
    Mark Anderson wrote: "In regards to the duel of two spotter aircraft doing battle during the last days of WW2, Cornelius Ryan wrote of the incident in his book Last Battle. While enroute to scout the area around Berlin Lts. Duane Francies and William Martin, in the last "dogfight" between Americans and Germans in WW2, took on a Fieseler "Storch" under pistolfire from their L-4 Cub, forced the Storch to crash land and its two occupants to be captured by an American troop convoy which had watched the action from below. The above account was also verified to me by correspondence from Mr. Martin in 2003."
    My advise: Strap a couple Brownings on the Carbon Cub and hey, a military contract at 15 million a plane is around the corner. Randy, pay attention. ;-)
    Last edited by RanRan; 07-14-2011 at 08:44 PM.