Thread: dust storm and flying

Default dust storm and flying

This dust storm was a mile high, 70 miles wide and was blowing 60 mph. I happen to be outside at my daughters and saw this huge reddish wall coming...looked like the world was coming to an end! Scared the hell out of me..never ever saw anything like it before! I hurried gathered everyone up to head home and it hit, and visibility was like in fog, I got lost and went the wrong way but finally found my way home....Very windy...very spooky! This morning there is dust on everything and a very hazy sky.

I am beginning to wonder between the extreme heat, T-storms, fires and now dust storms and question my decision to stick around for the summer here! Last winter I had the best summer of my life but now I know why people leave over the summer!

I wonder if you were flying what would you have to do to get away and get down and preserve your life and your airplane...there was no forecast which I don't get....anyway check the video out and watch your hair raise up!

Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

Default Re: dust storm and flying

That is scary. I saw one of those in Phoenix (not as intense as yesterday's, I'm sure) the very first time I was there, in 1987. Fortunately I was able to skedaddle and high-tail it back to L.A. in time.

Flying-1980s-6053.jpg
    Jeff Jacobs
    Vancouver WA / KVUO
    C-172N-180

I moved from Lubbock, Texas in 1976 because of sand storms. Can't stand them and it makes everyone sick from the dust for weeks. R
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.

George, how bad is the clean-up? Is your plane all dirty inside and out even sitting in a hangar? How about houses etc.? You'd think just drivng down the road after the story would kick up clouds of that stuff.
    Randy Lervold

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    George, how bad is the clean-up? Is your plane all dirty inside and out even sitting in a hangar? How about houses etc.? You'd think just drivng down the road after the story would kick up clouds of that stuff.
    Thank God 7AK is in a newer fairly air tight hanger...just got a faint coat of dust and I just dust mopped it..that's what you do here is dust mop until needs deeper cleaning.....The dust was all over our cars as we have carports...it was everywhere...kind of glued to the streets...someplace were moisture was mixed in it was like mud!

The air has been hazy with dust until today as we had T-storms last night and between the wind and some minor rain it helped clear the air!
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com