Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backcountry Sport Cub

Default Backcountry Sport Cub

I just got back from a few days with my Sport Cub at Mackay Bar (ID28) in the Idaho Backcountry. I was one of a group of a dozen people and eight airplanes -- the others were all Super Cubs, PA-20s of 135 to 160 hp, and a 160-hp PA-12. The O-200 powered Sport Cub held its own with that crowd.

Here are some photos:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1076784...COefkMv0nITnEw

At that remote location with no phone, cell service or internet, and no view of the sky beyond the closest ridge, my Sport Cub's Garmin 496 with XM weather was the only source of weather information for the whole group.

On the way home through the Columbia Gorge I was fortunate to encounter the classic "Daylight" steam locomotive #4449 going the other way on an excursion trip. I throttled back, opened the window for photos and enjoyed hearing that wonderful whistle from a thousand feet below!
    Jeff Jacobs
    Vancouver WA / KVUO
    C-172N-180

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

Default Re: Backcountry Sport Cub

Great trip. Thanks for sharing the Picasa album. I was almost there with you. I think I'd like to do that, too, when I grow up.

John M

Good Morning, Jeff;

Every time you share your stories and photos, it puts a smile on my face - selling you that airplane is among the most wonderful things I have ever done for either one of us!!!

Happy 4th!

Chip

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

Quote Originally Posted by chipallen View Post
    selling you that airplane is among the most wonderful things I have ever done for either one of us!!!
    I certainly agree, Chip! We'll never forget taxiing back to our hangar at Pearson in our Bonanza and seeing your Atlanta phone number on my cell phone's caller ID - when you called to tell us we won the Open House raffle! Thanks for all your help!
    Jeff Jacobs
    Vancouver WA / KVUO
    C-172N-180

Jeff, looks like you guys were camping at Mackey Bar, do they allow that? Are there showers or anything?
    Randy Lervold

I can't speak for the camping but they've got cabins to stay in, price includes dinner and breakfast. Don't try to use their internet though, $1 per minutes. Friend of mine was going to stay there in a cabin for a few days last week.

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    Jeff, looks like you guys were camping at Mackey Bar, do they allow that? Are there showers or anything?
    Yes, most of our group camped in their own tents under their wings. Showers and bathrooms are available in the main lodge/store/dining building. There is a small fee for showers. I stayed in the canvas tent structure out by the airplane parking area. It has both a double and a single bed, but no plumbing or electricity (an outhouse is a few steps away). There is also a nice two-story, multi-unit cabin building. As you can see in the photos, the grounds are immaculately maintained, and the food is excellent. There was a nice article about Mackay Bar in Pilot Getaways magazine a few months back. Website is http://www.mackaybarguestranch.com. Say hello to the managers, Rich and Heather.
    Jeff Jacobs
    Vancouver WA / KVUO
    C-172N-180

Randy, I grabbed a pamphlet they had on the place with details on lodging and stuff. I can give it to you if interested.

We went there last year Jason, I think Randy was asking more about the camping option. It was a different crew runnig the place then too.Pete D

In, out, and around that area many times over the three years I owned my Sport Cub. Never any problem keeping up with, or even "besting", the supercubs. I loved and miss my sport cub. Ralph
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.