Thread: Icon A5 Gets Production Funding

Default Icon A5 Gets Production Funding

Before purchasing my Carbon Cub I held an early position for the Icon A5. After the crash of 2008 it looked like Icon might not make it so I bought the CC. No regrets I love the Carbon Cub.

Looks like Icon has some new funding and seems to have Eric Schmidt of Google fame involved. Can hurt. All around Icon getting new funding has to be good for the LSA market. See this link.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Default Re: Icon A5 Gets Production Funding

Quote Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
    Before purchasing my Carbon Cub I held an early position for the Icon A5. After the crash of 2008 it looked like Icon might not make it so I bought the CC. No regrets I love the Carbon Cub.

Looks like Icon has some new funding and seems to have Eric Schmidt of Google fame involved. Can hurt. All around Icon getting new funding has to be good for the LSA market. See this link.
    Since they flunked their first flight tests in the perfect, thoughtful, computer-generated and just cool, ICON-world - why, the hell, are people investing in them??

OK, I don't care for their concept in general. There are better amphibs out there that don't pretend they are a Lamborghini.
    Last edited by RanRan; 06-30-2011 at 06:53 AM.

This is indeed good for the industry, I'm pleased to see it. Having new innovative product options only attracts more interest, attention, and users.
    Randy Lervold

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    This is indeed good for the industry...

The S2/Carbon Cub on floats is the sexier aircraft.
    Last edited by RanRan; 06-30-2011 at 06:51 AM.

I don't want to seem thoughtlessly harsh about the Icon, but throwing money and hype at a project does not make a great airplane. The Searey, which is pretty crude in comparison, has 500 Seareys flying and a dedicated, almost fanatical group of owners (according the Dan Johnson). Icon has its work cut out in appealing to, or finding a group of owners like that. All the hype in the world can't make that happen.

I hope they consider the cost of insurance before they plunk down there money to purchase one. Amphibs are one of the highest rates out there, higher than for a retractable. You forget to raise the gear on the retractable and it can probably be repaired. You forget to raise the gear on an amphib, you flip and sink - typically a full write-off for the insurance companies.

T

Actually if I won the lottery I would buy one right after upgrading to a carbon cub and also right after a RV7!
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

Quote Originally Posted by couleeone View Post
    Actually if I won the lottery I would buy one right after upgrading to a carbon cub and also right after a RV7!
    The Carbon Cub presses the LSA envelope right to the limit. My distant second choice and far more interesting than the Icon is the Phoenix, a hundred horse motor-glider - another LSA envelope extender. When you mesh the sport pilot / glider pilot licenses, you can fly all night and at 15.000+ feet. Got oxygen?

But it's no Carbon Cub. It's not tough enough. Alaska would eat this plane for lunch and the Icon for dessert.

Ran
    Last edited by RanRan; 07-03-2011 at 05:13 PM.