Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The newest

Default The newest Carbon Cub prospect

The newest Carbon Cub prospect. This guys next stop is Vadez.

Ben Hodges
    California Cubs
    www.californiacubs.com

Default Re: The newest

That guy definitely could use the power to weight ratio and performance of a Carbon Cub..........

He might also want a bigger life insurance policy.

Here's the story on it. This happened a few years back and the confession came from the owner. She posted it to the Stinson group.

Oh dear... Have to 'fess up. Things do come back to haunt one, don't they? This was me, Selina, in GYYF. Of course I have already received this video a few times in the last couple of days. I think it was 1999 or 2000.

What can I say? It was hot, I had 2 passengers and thought I knew more than I did about short field takeoffs. This little field is just outside of Victoria B.C. and once we were in the air we headed straight to Nanaimo's LONG runway to land and assess damages. The only victims, other than my pride, were the gear fairings as I did a bit of landscaping on the way out.

What was I thinking? I sure didn't use correct short field procedures and quickly ran out of room. I knew I was in trouble and also knew I was committed to the takeoff. As we lifted off my right seat passenger, a more experienced pilot (as was the second passenger in the back), was quick enough to yell at me to push the nose down and was ready to do so himself if I didn't. That instinct to pull up is strong especially with the tops of the trees coming at you.

Just about the best learning experience I've every had... And probably the scariest.

Coincidentally I met the owner of this little field this past weekend at a fly-in and we had a little reminisce about my "incident". The field is still in use although I think they have removed a few more of the trees at the end. I don't think I'll be tackling it again although a little voice inside says perhaps I should go back without passengers and do it properly!

Sombody needs to load a Carbon Cub to the gills, then video a takeoff from that place, and post it.

Thumbs up Re: The newest

Agreed.....does anyone know where that is? Who has a CC close by? Great idea!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Agreed.....does anyone know where that is? Who has a CC close by? Great idea!!!!!!
    I think it's in BC, Canada. I can go digging and find out, I know it was mentioned.

Raven Field, on Quamichan Lake, near Duncan BC

That's on Vancouver Island, right? Who owns the closest Carbon Cub?

There is a customer that has one based in Roche Harbor. I think it is the most north and west corner of Washington you could get.

Pete D.

Pete is that a carbon or a Top Cub? I know there is a Top Cub in the Islands or near there.
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com