Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RIP Pete Vinton

Default Re: RIP Pete Vinton

FYI,

NTSB report, would sure like to see the cell pho video as described in the report.

http://dms.ntsb.gov/aviation/Acciden...2011120000.pdf
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

Yeah, the video would be interesting to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Yeah, the video would be interesting to see.
    As educational, yes. As a terrible warning, yes. But depending on one's POV, it could be seen as a heartbreaking, pointless, dangerous death if only we humans would stay on the ground. To error is human, to error in the air is fatal, or so they say.

Ask any pilot if they are perfect and flawless - and they are probably the one group of humanity that will admit that they are not. Fundamentally imperfect, not talking golf here, but life itself in the decisions made.
    Last edited by RanRan; 05-10-2011 at 09:27 PM.

Agreed...educational purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Agreed...educational purposes only.
    I read that Pete had detractors around his little airport. Until edified, they will watch the video and 'see' proof that airplanes fall out of the sky at whim.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan View Post
    As educational, yes. As a terrible warning, yes. But depending on one's POV, it could be seen as a heartbreaking, pointless, dangerous death if only we humans would stay on the ground. To error is human, to error in the air is fatal, or so they say.

Ask any pilot if they are perfect and flawless - and they are probably the one group of humanity that will admit that they are not. Fundamentally imperfect, not talking golf here, but life itself in the decisions made.

Yes, I can affirm the video is heartbreaking to say the least. Unfortunately the crash occurred very close to the spectators and his family. Even after watching it only once I replay the crash and death of my good friend over and over again in my mind. I can not imagine how his family and children are not doing the same thing. A terrible tragedy on all counts.

To: Dave's Friend:

I met Dave when he and his family first moved to Colorado. I am praying for the McIntosh family. Dave contributed so much to the needs of all children. I am trying to reach Dave's family. Could you please email me at lesnormandin@yahoo.com

Thank you,
    Les

FLYING magazine, April 2012, has an article on this accident. It's by Peter Garrison in "Aftermath" on pg 34 entitled, "Too Low, Too Slow."

RIP Pete.

FLYING Magazine termed Vinton's flying as "ostentatious recklessness", recognized as dangerous by even non-aviators around the airport. I'm curious whether anyone ever approached him saying, "Knock it off, or someone is going to get killed." If not, why not?... United Airlines check captain, ex-Naval Aviator, CubCrafters demo pilot - was he viewed as an immortal aviation giant, beyond critique or criticism?

Full disclosure: I knew none of the people involved here. I'm interested in improving aviation safety in this particularly difficult area of 'expert' aviators displaying unsafe attitudes and performance; and sadly taking others with them. Many airports have a 'hot dog' that we wish we could influence.
    Last edited by John Doe; 03-30-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Probably the best example of what your talking about that has been researched and documented extensively is the Bud Holland B52 crash at Fairchild AFB in 1994. Everyone around him including senior officers knew he was going to cause an accident at some point but nothing was ever done. The research is used for military training but it has a lot of truth in GA as well. Easy to find with a google search, look it up if your interested in the psychology of dangerous attitudes and horsing around in aircraft. The accident killed one of my employees father among others.