Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RIP Pete Vinton

Default Re: RIP Pete Vinton

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan View Post
    I did find one newspaper account - Pete Vinton was instructing a student...immediately after take off the plane stalled and 'cork-screwed' to the earth, killing both of them.
    Check that. Here's the updated info...

http://www.velozia.com/plane-in-stee...colorado-crash

It was a demo flight not instructional as first reported.

I didn't know Pete, but from what I've read about his flight experiece I would find it hard
    to believe he stalled a perfectly good airplane in a straight ahead climb out. Also what
    might look like a steep climb in a normal airplane could be a normal climb in a Carbon Cub.
    It will be interesting to see what the NTSB finds out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ndill View Post
    I didn't know Pete, but from what I've read about his flight experiece I would find it hard
    to believe he stalled a perfectly good airplane in a straight ahead climb out. Also what
    might look like a steep climb in a normal airplane could be a normal climb in a Carbon Cub.
    It will be interesting to see what the NTSB finds out.
    Gusting high winds - rear left quartering - got to the top of his steep launch and had nothing under his wings - i.e. already beyond a stall and instantly into a spin. There couldn't have been any chance of recovery - he had no way of regaining any airspeed - apparent wind speed was probably in MINUS knots at that critical point. Witnesses said the plane looked motionless for a moment before dropping - of course it was motionless! All forward momentum had been gobbled up by the climb and all airspeed gobbled up by the tailwind. At that point, the wind lifted the left wing and what hope he had of powering out of it was gone. He needed a thousand feet to work out of it and only had 300.

This is pilot error - experienced pilot error. Do you seriously think he wasn't hearing a stall warning on the way up that steep climb? Sure, he'd heard it before and ignored it until the last second, laid the nose down and went on his merry way - but not in THAT wind.
    Last edited by RanRan; 05-01-2011 at 03:38 PM.

He was not instructing, nor was it a "demo" flight. He was giving a courtesy ride to a scout troup leader who wasn't a pilot. Let's be careful here about speculating.
    Randy Lervold

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    He was not instructing, nor was it a "demo" flight. He was giving a courtesy ride to a scout troup leader who wasn't a pilot. Let's be careful here about speculating.
    Right. And a good point. I borrowed that word 'demo' from the preliminary FAA report - but even from their own report it is clear that it was just that - a courtesy ride demonstrating the fun of aviation to the girls and their leader. From the context, I believe that's how the FAA guy was using the word in his report.

Yes, he was not instructing. It was impromptu ride to the Scout leader who was my best friend who had never been up for a ride.

Unfortunately his family and others saw the accident occur directly in front of them. As stated there was _no_ time for the pilot to recover, the plane climbed much too fast to an altitude of less than 300 feet I estimate.

Please remember the passenger and his family along with Pete in your thoughts and prayers.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by friend View Post
    Please remember the passenger and his family along with Pete in your thoughts and prayers.

Friend,
    I am so very sorry for your loss, thank you for writing those loving words on behalf of your friend and his family.

I have been sincerely praying for his wife and children every day since his name was released and I will for you also.

This is a sobering reminder of the responsibility we have as pilots with the precious lives we hold in our hands.

E

Quote Originally Posted by Tachoma View Post
    Friend,
    I am so very sorry for your loss, thank you for writing those loving words on behalf of your friend and his family.

I have been sincerely praying for his wife and children every day since his name was released and I will for you also.

E
    Thank you very much.

I had known my friend for 26 years and from what I heard he was excited to go for the ride with Pete following the scouts touring the airport. We had spent a lot of time together over the years hiking up mountains like Mt. Whitney, Mt. Shasta and Mt. Dana and he continued his love of the outdoors when he moved to CO by becoming a scout leader and having an real impact on many youngsters lives.

He was an enthusiastic and wonderful person and will be greatly missed by me and many, many others.

I'd like to extend my condolences as well. It's very sad to lose a friend like that.

This is certainly a sad story.

Pete's passion for flying and CubCrafters will be missed.

I wish I knew what really happened. It is easy to speculate. Did the passenger accidently step on a rudder pedal or hit the stick as they tried to look over their shoulder at the people on the ground? Did a tail wind hit them hard as they gained altitude causing a stall?

Unfortunately, we may never know as the only people we can ask are gone forever.

Be careful out there! Fly safe!

RIP Pete
    RIP Dave