Thread: 51%

Default 51%

If I understand the procedures correctly the Carbon Cub EX kit has not been evaluated by the FAA to determine that the kit, as received by the builder, meets the 51% rule. So the DAR then makes that determination when he issues an Airworthiness Certificate based on the builder's logs and photos etc. Is that correct?

So following the issuance of the AW certificate the builder can then take a test and be issued a Repairman's license for that single airplane. Am I also understanding this part correctly? And if so where and when can the builder take the test?

Thanks in advance to any answers.

Default Re: 51%

You are correct on the 51% part. I believe we are on the list to have the kit evaluation team (there is only one team I understand) come here and evaluate the kit sometime this year. So far no one has had any issues getting their AW done that I know of, and something like 30% of the kits shipped are flying.

Repairman's certificate for your homebuilt airplane (E-AB) I BELIEVE is just a form you fill out. They understand that if you put at least 51% of it together, you probably know how to maintain it.

The class is for those that own experimental light-sport (E-LSA) airplanes who want to do owner maintenance.

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong here....

Pete D

You are correct Pete and the form to fill out is FAA Form 8610-2. Dan that fillable form should be on a CD that you received in the finish manual under certification. Let me know if you have any questions about the form. I could find a sample and get it to you.

Thanks
    Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    ... and something like 30% of the kits shipped are flying.
    That's it?? Those guys gotta get cracking! With the right drugs, someone could build one of these things in 3 weeks! (That's not to say that I would want to fly it.) ;-)

Anyway. What's the percentage of RV kits out there flying? Anyone know?

Ask an RV guy.... ;-)

Did a little checking, we are at 35% flying, will be much higher than that as guys are finishing them as fast as we ship new ones it seems. I think the kits have been shipping for less than 2 years, so not bad!

Pete D.

Dan, looks like Pete and Mitch have answered your questions. NKET approval is expected in April.
    Randy Lervold

Default Re: 51% and Build Logs

This thread was started in March 2011 before the FAA had given KIT approval for the Carbon Cub EX. At that time someone commented that: Carbon Cub EX kit has not been evaluated by the FAA to determine that the kit, as received by the builder, meets the 51%rule. So the DAR then makes that determination when he issues an Airworthiness Certificate based on the builder's logs and photos etc.

​Then in April 2011 another thread says that CubCrafters had received kit approval from the FAA. I assume this means the FAA agrees that builders do 51% of the work on a build to make the plane. What changed for builders at that moment? Did that end the builder's log requirement that the DAR reviewed?

I am expecting delivery of my CC EX kit first of February. I've seen comments here and there on the EX Forum about a Builders Log, but I've not seen statements mandating it's completion. Maybe I've missed something. What are the options for builders?

Jim
    Last edited by jmorrical; 01-16-2015 at 10:06 PM.

Default Re: 51% and Build Logs

Quote Originally Posted by jmorrical View Post

​Then in April 2011 another thread says that CubCrafters had received kit approval from the FAA. I assume this means the FAA agrees that builders do 51% of the work on a build to make the plane. What changed for builders at that moment? Did that end the builder's log requirement that the DAR reviewed?

I am expecting delivery of my CC EX kit first of February. I've seen comments here and there on the EX Forum about a Builders Log, but I've not seen statements mandating it's completion. Maybe I've missed something. What are the options for builders?

Jim
    Jim,

It is my understanding that a builders log is required.

Prior to the 51% rule you needed it to establish that you did indeed build more than half of the airplane. After the 51% rule the builders log helps establish that you were the person that built the airplane and not someone else.

All that being said I have a buddy building an airplane that is using hand written notes and pictures to put together his own home made log. I am using KitLog Pro and have been very happy with that. it is up to you on how detailed you want to make it.

Another benefit of a thorough builders log is it can become part of the airplane and could increase resale value down the road.

MR

From AC 20-27G:
    Ensure You Understand the Need To Properly Document Your Project. It isimportant to document the entire fabrication and assembly process from the beginning tothe end, in a continuous and sequential manner. This is because, at the time ofcertification, the FAA is required to ascertain whether the amateur builder(s) fabricatedand assembled the major portion of the aircraft. Making this finding requires adequate,sufficient, and credible documentation. This documentation should clearly show whoperformed the task(s), when and where the tasks were performed, depict the methods ofconstruction and quality of workmanship, and document the use of commercial andnon-commercial assistance. Examples of documentation and methods that can be usedinclude the following:

1. (1) The Amateur-Built Aircraft Fabrication and Assembly Checklist (2009);
    2. (2) Comprehensive builder’s logs in any format, to include photographs of all

the steps included in each of the listed tasks in the Amateur-Builder Aircraft Fabricationand Assembly Checklist (2009), materials and techniques used in construction, as well asdates, locations, and detailed descriptions;

1. (3) Photographs/video/DVD;
    2. (4) Drawings and engineering specifications;
    3. (5) Kit manufacturer’s data, when necessary;
    4. (6) Relevant documentation (for example, plans) and references (for example,

handbooks) used;
    (7) Documentation concerning any commercial assistance used, includingreceipts;
    (8) Documentation concerning any non-commercial assistance used;
    Last edited by Cubrath; 01-17-2015 at 02:02 PM.