Thread: Cost to build Carbon Cub

Default Cost to build Carbon Cub

Can you guys that have built give me an cost estimate to complete. Here's what I have so far from the
    cost sheet.
    3 Airframe kits + CC 340 eng + CC340 Firewall Fwd Kit + Lighting package + Extended Fuel +
    Extended Baggage+ Catto Prop +8.5 tires =112000 $
    So you would add paint, plus avionics and insturments. Assuming you got a insturment blank and
    did the panel yourself would an estimate of between 120-130K seem reasonable.
    Sorry forgot the tailwheel.
    Last edited by Ndill; 01-19-2011 at 11:11 AM.

Default Re: Cost to build Carbon Cub

That's a reasonable estimate.
    Randy Lervold

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    That's a reasonable estimate.
    Thanks Randy.

I dont want to start a food fight here but other than the obvious advantages of being your own "A&P" and having a new plane I don't really see the advantage of building an EX. Don't get me wrong because I would love to build one but from a monetary standpoint would it be worth it? I can buy a 50's vintage 180 or Super Cub with a mid time engine for $60-70k, vice the $120k on a CC EX. Are the resale values for the CC EX good? Please tell me if I'm missing something because I'm a novice at best to the experimental side.

Less weight, way more performance, lower fuel burn, higher cruise speed, more useful load, and new technologies. I could buy a car from the eighties and it would get me from point A to point B, but a new car will get me there cheaper, safer and lower maintenance cost than my 1980's car.

Mitch

very well said Mitch!
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

Quote Originally Posted by CdPea View Post
    I dont want to start a food fight here but other than the obvious advantages of being your own "A&P" and having a new plane I don't really see the advantage of building an EX. Don't get me wrong because I would love to build one but from a monetary standpoint would it be worth it? I can buy a 50's vintage 180 or Super Cub with a mid time engine for $60-70k, vice the $120k on a CC EX. Are the resale values for the CC EX good? Please tell me if I'm missing something because I'm a novice at best to the experimental side.
    What you are missing is a couple of additional yardsticks with which to evaluate a potential purchase.

It is real easy to look at initial out of pocket expenses and think cheaper is better. With a 60 year old airplane you are getting the maintenance history (both good and bad), all the prior owners' use and abuse of the airplane, the old technology and the extra attention a 60 year old airplane requires. All of these items can drive up the cost of ownership considerably.

In addition, the opportunity to build something and fly what you build means a lot to most any kit builder. I know of one CarbonCub EX for sale (see www.swtaviation.com for details) and that airplane is for sale because the builder wants to build another one. The resale value on CarbonCub EX kits is hard to determine because there aren't that many around to be sold yet. Furthermore, experimental amateur build airplanes can have their own market dynamics in the resale market.

Mitch brought up some good points in his reply. There are several measures to use to evaluate an airplane purchase. Frankly, there should be $60K difference between a new airplane with new technology and superior performance and a 60 year old airplane.

Just another point of view.

JM

Everyone had brought up some very valid and good points. I appreciate the input it will definitely help in my decision making process.