Page 1 of 11 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Kit Mods

Default Kit Mods

I thought some other builders might like to see some of the mods I've made to my kit.

Here is a tail cleanout/trim access panel held in place with three #85 Southco's and three formed 4130 clips riveted to the panel:

DSCN1497.jpg

An extended baggage. The white panels are .040" Kydex, door is .032" aluminum, floor is .040" aluminum. Five wing head #85 Southco's to retain the door. Total net weight gain is 7.0 pounds over the original extended baggage:

DSCN1503.jpg

DSCN1492.jpg

DSCN1490.jpg

DSCN1493.jpg

And I wanted a panel that was a little larger than the one furnished with the kit and without a center radio stack cutout.

DSCN1495.jpg

DSCN1500.jpg

DSCN1501.jpg

The empty panel weight with a partial backer stiffener is 1.50 pounds.
    Last edited by Dan L; 11-04-2010 at 03:59 PM.

Default Re: Kit Mods

Dan

I like the tail clean out. Great idea. I am very pleased that people are watching the weight. It is a hard thing to keep under control. (weight)

Mark

Nice work Dan, those look like carefully considered and well executed mods. Aint homebuilding great!
    Randy Lervold

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    Nice work Dan, those look like carefully considered and well executed mods. Aint homebuilding great!
    It really is nice to be able to make changes like these without going through any STC paper work.

I'm building this as an 1865 pound gross kit so weight isn't as big of a concern as it would be for LSA. I also went with the 44 gallon fuel tanks.

As I told Mitch the last time I was there, I'm an engineer and have been involved in manufacturing since I was 16 years old. From working as an engineer at the John Deere Tractor Works and 26 years in my own business of making precision rifle barrels where we hold tolerances in the .0001" range, so I'm not easily impressed. But I am impressed with the parts in the kit, both in quality of design and execution in manufacturing. It makes putting the Cub together all fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    ...I'm not easily impressed. But I am impressed with the parts in the kit, both in quality of design and execution in manufacturing. It makes putting the Cub together all fun.
    Thank you for noticing, we try!

Speaking of rifle barrels, I may call you some time for the straight story on some questions I have if you wouldn't mind.
    Randy Lervold

I also added a defog valve and will have two openings in the boot cowl connected to it with CAT tubing.

And I moved the brake master cylinders to the front pedals and eliminated all rear controls including rudder pedals. The tubes from the masters run to a Grove parking brake valve that will operate from a push/pull T-handle mounted under the panel. (I really wish the Carbon Cub had been designed with heel brakes.)

Yes, Randy, anytime. Guns and planes are two of my favorite subjects.

DSCN1521.jpg

1000 words....

IMG_1425.jpg

[QUOTE=Pete D;2126]1000 words....

I like the idea but it looks a little too cramped to me.

If I recall correctly, the relationship between the brake/rudder pedals was set up to be identical to a Super Cub.

Pete D

Thumbs up Re: Kit Mods

Dan very nice job keep us updated and please keep the photos rollin in.