Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Supplemental cooling for the Sport Cub

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Supplemental cooling for the Sport Cub

For those Sport Cub owners who operate in unusually high ambient conditions and are having trouble with cooling, we have found that we can install a set of the supplemental cowl flaps we recently developed for the CC340 powered Carbon Cub SS. Though the cowls are not the same on the Sport Cub and the Carbon Cub the flap assemblies can be swapped left/right and installed in a different position and they work great. If you're interested check the posting on it here.

Again, this isn't for everyone, but it's an option those who need it. The parts kit will cost $595 and installation is very straightforward. If you'd like a set just contact Ethen Hughes... ethen.hughes@cubcrafters.com
    Randy Lervold

Default Re: Supplemental cooling for the Sport Cub

This is very interesting. Where is the test data for the S2? As the engine is different I would think the cowling acted different also.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokette View Post
    This is very interesting. Where is the test data for the S2? As the engine is different I would think the cowling acted different also.
    No hard test data available, they weren't designed for the Sport Cub because the larger oil cooler has taken care of the small handful of customes with high oil temps. The only test data is our company pilots reporting observed temps relative what they know the aircraft runs at for a given OAT, and a customer in SoCal who installed them and now runs at least 20° cooler, maybe more. Early non-scientific results seem to indicate that it might cool the Sport Cub more than the Carbon Cub.
    Randy Lervold

Those "outlets" were pretty much non-functioning for looks. No testing was done on their effectiveness but when we tried something similar in our test program they didn't appear to have any useful changes.

Pete D.

Smile Re: Supplemental cooling for the Sport Cub

Ha!
    Diana Votaw
    N110CV

I am in line for installation either before I get here or after . Necessary for AZ!
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

I asked because:

We are going to be putting them in a customer's S2 that has a Dynon in it here in a few weeks. I am going to try and record before and after numbers, CHTs and oil temp if I can.

Pete D.

I had not heard anything since.
    Diana Votaw
    N110CV

Except for the electronic ignition, I had these same changes performed on my engine by Bart (Aerosport). After breakin, I suspect you will find it running cooler than previously even without cowling flaps. To me this "cooling issue" is simple; burning fuel creates the heat; air moving over the engine cools it ( with some help from oil, but that too is dependent on air-flow). With the increased efficiency provided by flow-match/balance and, especially, the high-compression pistons, I increased 4" of prop and speed at least 10 mph. The airplane runs faster, higher up on step (cleaner profile thorough the air), and, as a result, there is more air moving thorugh the pressure cowl at the same fuel burn as before. This is a performance mod which is a great improvement. The paint and chrome...personal taste but looks nice Pete, you chased me around in Idaho, what do you think? Ralph

I wonder
    COWL FLAPS.jpg
    This looks nice to me. Go for it Diana.

Mark

We are going to be putting them in a customer's S2 that has a Dynon in it here in a few weeks. I am going to try and record before and after numbers, CHTs and oil temp if I can.

Pete D.