Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Supplemental cooling for the Sport Cub

Default Re: Supplemental cooling for the Sport Cub

Quote Originally Posted by couleeone View Post
    PBefore I install the hi-pro exhaust I never ran that hot, the composite prop may have been part of the increased temperature too...as I did them both in the winter, I just don't know how much each contibuted to the heat.
    For what it's worth, I had the larger plenum put on my S2 last summer at the same time that the wood prop was swapped for the composite. Result was a net reduction of about 10 degrees of oil temp across the board.
    Jeff Jacobs
    Vancouver WA / KVUO
    C-172N-180

[QUOTE=Pete D;3081]I agree with Randy, the cowl flaps make a bigger difference than the oil cooler.

From Frank Schmidt:
    I'd like to get some info on these cowl flaps. Like are they operable from inside the cabin?
    Who can install them and what would be the cost for my S2.

The cowl flaps are not operable from inside the cabin. It is more of a seasonal adjustment, or maybe no adjustment needed depending on what part of the country you are in.

I believe any A&P can put them in. If your aircraft is E-LSA you may be able to do it yourself, I'd have to check to be sure though.

I don't have the numbers for cost in front of me right now, give CC a call and we can give you some pricing.

Pete D.

[QUOTE=Frank Schmidt;3174]
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    Who can install them and what would be the cost for my S2.
    They are $595 as indicated in the first post in this thread. They can be had painted or left carbon fiber, your choice, same price.
    Randy Lervold

Hey Frank,

I installed my cowl flaps back in October on 399CC. Cost of installation was $300 from an experimental builder who works with carbon fiber on a daily basis @ my airport KSMO. You can do it yourself if you like, it's an easy installation.

My opionion In regards to which is more effective the oil cooler or flaps....... THE COWL FLAPS are the way to go, I have mine set @ the middle setting. My temperatures dropped into the green arc after the install. I had the oil cooler installed b 4 the cowl flaps and saw no noticeable change in temperature with just the oil cooler alone.

I'm flying in So Cal area and the flaps are a must have to keep oil temperature in the green arc!.

Rich 399CC

To those who have installed the cowl flaps, how much of a speed penalty are you seeing with them open?

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    They can be had painted or left carbon fiber, your choice, same price.
    Randy, would unpainted carbon fiber hold up well against the elements?
    Jeff Jacobs
    Vancouver WA / KVUO
    C-172N-180

One of the first customer Carbon Cubs we did this on I had the opportunity to fly it before and after on the same day, at the same power settings and pressure alt. First flight was with them closed and taped over so no air would got out, second flight they were in the full open position. I measured 4 mph difference.

I have no data for the closed position or middle position.

"Carbon fiber" finish is a clear gel coat that allows you to see through to the carbon weave. I have not seen any issues with it holding up. Gel coats are generally tougher than paint, and it is a nice, slick and smooth surface.

Pete D.
    Last edited by Pete D; 04-19-2011 at 03:36 PM.

Pete, is that 4mph faster or slower? I haven't notice a difference yet on my S1. The temps are running 180-200 max and thats after a long climb out. Significant difference!
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

The cowl flaps, when open, provide more airflow through the cooling system which will increase drag and thus reduce airspeed. Controlling the variables so as to be able to measure any airspeed difference is tricky. I would expect a small decrease with the cowl flaps fully open.
    Randy Lervold

Geo, for the reasons that Randy pointed out, that was 4 mph slower (as best as can be measured)

Pete D