Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cabin Heat Muff Chaffing

Default Re: Cabin Heat Muff Chaffing

Are these special light weight parts for the Titan engine?

I don't remember hearing any similar reports of damage/frailty of the induction tubes on Lycoming O-320 or O-360 engines.

Default Re: Cabin Heat Muff Chaffing

My earlier wording that the induction tubes were 'very' thin walled might be somewhat overstated, but they are light weight. Only CubCrafters provides this part. They must be aluminum or some aluminum alloy.

I asked CubCrafters Kit Support about tube wall thickness. They said the induction tubes had a wall thickness of .035 inch, but that likely varies when bent. The CC340 Titan on CarbonCubs have oil sumps fabricated by forming aluminum sheet then welded. I understand this was a CubCrafters initiative and design to save weight. I don't know the wall thickness of the induction tube that are integral to the sump design but they seem to be similar.

Here is how the CC340 Engine Manual explains the sump options on the CC340.

The CC340 engine has two sumps available. One is cast aluminum and the optional .080” sheet metal sump saves approximately 11 lbs in weight. The cast sump has a maximum capacity of 8 quarts of oil, while the sheet metal sump is 6 quarts of oil. Both sumps are bottom inlet, hot induction sumps for the MA4SPA carburetor attachment. Both sumps incorporate a drain plug for changing oil.
    Last edited by jmorrical; 09-10-2024 at 06:42 AM.
    Jim Morrical