Thread: USB Charging Port Alternative

Default USB Charging Port Alternative

Has anyone found a USB port that will fit in the cutout in the upper left wing root panel? The True Blue ports are for Certified Aircraft and very pricey.

Default Re: USB Charging Port Alternative

Hi Steve, the cutout is designed for the TrueBlue power USB. We have found this unit to be reliable and to have good filtering to prevent electrical noise in the headset.

Parts@cubcrafters.com or kitsupport@cubcrafters.com can assist with ordering this, for kits we have a package that includes the inline fuse and wire required to connect it to the bus in the wing root, or mounting bracket to put it under the right side of the instrument panel.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by sdischer View Post
    Has anyone found a USB port that will fit in the cutout in the upper left wing root panel? The True Blue ports are for Certified Aircraft and very pricey.
    I seldom use a USB port in my aircraft but I keep an "Anker PowerDrive 2 Alloy" in my flight bag. This inexpensive ($9.99 on Amazon) USB port plugs into a standard 12 V outlet and, the few times I have used it, have not had any interference issues.

The wing root port location is good for the rear seat but not ideal for the front seat. The front 12 V outlet may be wired "battery direct" so be careful not to leave anything plugged in there after flight.

The cost of the True Blue Power is insignificant compared to the annual insurance cost of an FX-3 but I don't need a USB outlet enough to bother fitting one.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    Hi Steve, the cutout is designed for the TrueBlue power USB. We have found this unit to be reliable and to have good filtering to prevent electrical noise in the headset.

Parts@cubcrafters.com or kitsupport@cubcrafters.com can assist with ordering this, for kits we have a package that includes the inline fuse and wire required to connect it to the bus in the wing root, or mounting bracket to put it under the right side of the instrument panel.
    Thanks Pete. I broke down and bought it, lol!