Thread: BlueTooth issues Garmin 345R Transponder

Default BlueTooth issues Garmin 345R Transponder

I own an XCub with the G3X Touch and a 345R transponder that is remotely mounted in the tail just behind the removable carbon fiber panel. Does anyone else have problems with maintaining a reliable Bluetooth connection with the 345R and their portable devises such as your ipad or iphone? Any portable devise I use constantly disconnects from the 345. Very annoying!

Default Re: BlueTooth issues Garmin 345R Transponder

Quote Originally Posted by Patenaude View Post
    I own an XCub with the G3X Touch and a 345R transponder that is remotely mounted in the tail just behind the removable carbon fiber panel. Does anyone else have problems with maintaining a reliable Bluetooth connection with the 345R and their portable devises such as your ipad or iphone? Any portable devise I use constantly disconnects from the 345. Very annoying!
    The carbon fiber panel may act as an RF shield. The CF front seat gives significant GPS signal attenuation at the ELT location.

Have you tested your Bluetooth connections with the panel temporarily removed?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    The carbon fiber panel may act as an RF shield. The CF front seat gives significant GPS signal attenuation at the ELT location.

Have you tested your Bluetooth connections with the panel temporarily removed?
    Thanks for your reply Andy, Yes I have tried this and I do believe the CF panel is causing the intermittent BT signal. Is there an approved fix for this issue? I fly a lot with other pilots sitting in the rear seat and I would love to offer them a reliable traffic screen on their ipad. I saw a hack fix on a Diamond aircraft forum that had a similar issue with a carbon fiber lid over the 345. It involves attaching a mini antenna to the area on the 345 that emits the BT signal using RTV and then a coax to an area in the cockpit to another mini antenna. Supposedly it solved their problem but I'm not so sure how it would fly during annual inspections or the FAA for that mater. You would think there would be a more permanent fix for this?

I see no issue with the relay antenna idea as far as FAA or inspection is concerned. Simply make the antenna installation using velcro or other "non-installed" attachment method. If an inspector objects remove it and put it back after the inspection is signed off.

The Garmin GTX 3x5 installation manual includes this:

3.12 Bluetooth Considerations (GTX 345R Only)
    For optimal connectivity with a GTX 345R, the Bluetooth antenna must point towards the passenger area of the
    aircraft. This is identifiable by the Garmin label. Due to aircraft obstructions, Bluetooth performance may be limited. To obtain ideal Bluetooth performance, use a Flight Stream 110/210.

Perhaps you should ask CubCrafters how this installation was tested.

Andy

Thanks Andy, I am familiar with the Flight Stream options but wasn't sure if it would help me out in this situation so it may be worth a try. I ordered the material for the remote antenna hack and thinking I will give it a try first.