Thread: Removing door/s entirely for summer flights

Default Removing door/s entirely for summer flights

I wonder if someone has an experience with removing 1 door, or both, and fly without them.
    We face in summer time a regular temperature of around 30^ Celsius and flying with the door open hanging on its ledge, limits us. (Speed)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Removing door/s entirely for summer flights

Quote Originally Posted by kuli View Post
    I wonder if someone has an experience with removing 1 door, or both, and fly without them.
    We face in summer time a regular temperature of around 30^ Celsius and flying with the door open hanging on its ledge, limits us. (Speed)
    I thought the speed limit was because the rear windows will blow out. How would removing the door or hinged window change that?

When I flew a J3 I often had the door and window open. In the FX-3 I only open them in flight for photography.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I thought the speed limit was because the rear windows will blow out. How would removing the door or hinged window change that?

When I flew a J3 I often had the door and window open. In the FX-3 I only open them in flight for photography.
    At first, I didn’t know the reason for the speed limit. I thought it because the hinged window would not hold at a higher speed than 75
    Now, I understand that the back windows were replaced and strengthened by the manufacturer because of such breakage, and they made them stronger (from sn 109) so I am not sure till what speed the new back windows hold. If we will remove the hinged window (because it start shaking at 70 mph, and don’t hold above 75).. till what speed the new back window will hold before blow up? ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, I don't know your airplane type that well. The rear windows on my FX-3 do not have a metal channel on the leading edge but I think one is used on the NX Cub. I think that channel was added to increase the safe windows open speed but I don't have any other info.

Maybe Pete will have some advice.

David,

The 81 MPH limitation applies to all serial numbers and models of Sport Cub and Carbon Cub.

The SB applies to the earlier aircraft that didn't originally have the placard installed. When this service document was released, all new aircraft also began getting the placard and it is called out in the limitations, placards section of all current POH revisions.
    https://cubcrafters.com/c/wp-content...ard_Rev_NC.pdf

The speed restriction was added for longevity of both the side window frame and D windows due to higher power and higher speeds vibrating the windows.

The Sn 108/109 reference that was made is when the D windows went from being adhered to a joggle in the fuselage to a U channel on the top and bottom.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc