Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FX3: intermittent zero amps, spiking oil temp, strobes tripping off

Default Re: FX3: intermittent zero amps, spiking oil temp, strobes tripping off

Quote Originally Posted by hawgdrvr View Post
    I believe this issue which has been going on a long time started while still under warranty. Why not ask CubCrafters to warranty replace all three strobes, or at least they should do it in good faith. If not, then determine the vendor for your strobes and ask them for replacements after explaining the issue. I don't know if there is a strobe controller like there is a wig-wag controller, doubt it, but you'd have to review or have Pete tell you the electrical diagram of this system. I hope CubCrafters will help you resolve this in a timely manner.
    Yes, that's true. This has been an on-going issue for quite a long time now, well within the warranty period. I think the strobes were either a separate issue or the use of strobes further revealed the problem. This also coincided with the erratic oil temp indications, which turned out not to be a sensor issue, rather a wiring issue on the CC side of things.

AeroLED's or WAT (one in the same now I think) would probably warranty replace or offer advice to test. Just hope you can find resolution and go enjoy that amazing plane @cavok.

Thanks for the information. I'm hopeful as well! I'll keep after it.

The AMM Template will have the nav/strobe/landing schematic. It is pretty much the same for all Carbon Cubs, the only thing that has change slightly is the LL flasher over time with different vendors flashers.

Andy is correct, the connection points are at each nav/strobe, at each wing root and behind the panel near the switches. Also the tail nav has a plug near the data plate inside the tail.

Thanks, Pete. I disconnected the tail strobe, which I thought corrected the issue. But, as I've been flying with my strobes OFF and the problem has continued, would you still recommend testing the strobes?

he characteristics of the EarthX battery make it difficult for me to compare your data with my SBS-J16 data so I hope to receive some data from your aircraft before the problem started.

My plane came with the Earth X. I have all the data on my computer, if you like, I can send some data from shortly after receiving the plane. Or are you wanting data immediately prior to the first signs of trouble?

Well, yesterday I installed a new alternator, hoping that I could narrow down the problem. After installing it, I was checking over everything but something kept bothering me. I couldn't put my finger on it, until, out of nowhere, the obvious hit me in the face.

The metal mounting plate to which the fuel servo and coils are attached was cracked on all four corners. Completely broken in two places, barely hanging on at one corner, and a small fracture forming on the fourth. This left the forward right side to rattle around freely. While it looks obvious in the pictures, I only noticed it after installing the alternator and preparing to reinstall the lower cowling. I imagine movement of the equipment attached (ignition coils) could've caused some of my issues.

Everything was tight and secure; the plate had no movement that would explain why all four corners would break. While there is a service bulletin regarding the ignition coil brackets cracking, my S/N was not included (it appears I have the new style coils).

Thoughts?

IMG_2888.jpgIMG_2889.jpgIMG_2890.jpgIMG_2891.jpgIMG_2892.jpgIMG_2893.jpg
    Last edited by cavok84; Today at 03:33 AM.

I doubt this is related to your intermittent charging problem unless the broken bracket has chafed the alternator output cable. An intermittent short of the alternator output wire would cause the problems seen in your data. An intermittent short of the field wire should cause the field CB to trip. Your photos seem to show that the alternator output cable comes close to the fractured upper right coil bracket.

I was aware of the optional SI to change to the new style coil mounting but I had not seen an SI on either the original or the new bracket fracturing. I did not see any cracks in my old style bracket when I removed and replaced my fuel servo but I did not look closely at the upper part of the bracket.

Sorry to hear this @cavok. Not what a new FX-3 owner should be going through. I wonder if CubCrafters could send someone to pick it up and return it to Yakima to get all of this straightened out?

How hard will it be to fix that bracket? Weld or replace? I wonder if a loose alternator caused vibration that did that?
    Last edited by hawgdrvr; Today at 06:21 AM.