Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cross country trip - Your favorite back country spot

Default Re: Cross country trip - Your favorite back country spot

A must see if in N. Eastern Washington
    Cavanaugh Bay, ID (66S)- A suitable Rwy for most aircraft (3100' grass). Fun approach over the water to 15. Camp on W. side, approach end of 15. Hot shower/bath room present (Courtesy of ID Dept of Aviation), drinkable water, courtesy car. Nice restaurant on the water if you don't want to eat by the camp fire. Not much of a town, but flying the area and camp site are worth it.
    Of course, if you're in the area, stop and visit Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. Beautiful lake.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lee; 01-29-2024 at 09:58 PM.

A great place in Western Washington.
    Stehekin (6S9)-Located on the north end of Lake Chelan. Well maintained grass strip 2,600 ft long. They don't want you to camp on the run way area (bear concerns). There is a very nice camp site along the crystal clear Stehekin river about 1/2 mi up the dirt road, off to the right (South-just before the bridge). Most folks seem to reserve a camp site so if it's all full i'm not sure what's next. There is no cost. There are a few bicycles to use on the east side of the strip.
    Nice hike to an old farmstead. There is a small town/harbor about 6 miles south. I'm told there is a good restaurant to visit.
    We really enjoyed this little slice of heaven-one of our favorite spots.[ATTACH]13293
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you're into unique backcountry spots, check out the Frank Church Wilderness in Idaho. It's a massive area, and the backcountry strips offer technical landings, especially if you're looking for a challenge. The scenery is stunning, with rivers, deep canyons, and untouched wilderness. I also recommend Johnson Creek (3U2) in Idaho for a more relaxed spot; it's a favorite among pilots with plenty of camping and hiking opportunities right by the airstrip.For something different, I've been to Westgate in Branson, Missouri. It's not backcountry, but it's a great place to unwind after a long trip. The resort has everything you need for a comfortable stay, and the surroundings offer a nice break from the ruggedness of the backcountry.
    Last edited by StuLes; 08-30-2024 at 05:19 AM.