Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cross country trip - Your favorite back country spot

Default Cross country trip - Your favorite back country spot

I'm planning a cross-country (US) trip visiting primarily Back Country locations. It's not easy finding a list of must see/experience locations across the US. Places that allow plane side camping, hikes that start near the landing spot, great food or areas that are just too beautiful to miss. Perhaps a spot you find technically challenging to land. We all know a place or two we take friends when they come for a visit.
    Any location suggestions you might share?
    I'll start....I'm in the SLC, UT area.

Mexican mountain
    (39.0188N 110.4504W) just W of Green River, UT (U34). Moab like area. Petroglyphs. Camping. Lots of hiking. Gets hot in the summer, mid day 100–110°, there is a stream that can be used to filter drinking water. If not, bring plenty of fluids. Reasonably smooth dirt runway a good 2500 feet long at 4500 feet elevation. Fly the green river, lots of other landing locations. Just outside Green River city, west, is a truck-stop. Land on the dirt road just North and parallel to the interstate, taxi up for a burger at Arby's.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lee; 01-29-2024 at 10:02 PM.

Default Re: Cross country trip - Your favorite back country spot

All time favorite Johnson Creek ID. From there the strips are endless. See Fly Idaho. Fly
    Utah for that State.

You have not mentioned your timing, but this time of year I would go south not north obviously.

As Cub337 mentioned, JC is very nice and Idaho is full of fun. There are many resources that can utilize as you probably know.
    Example: https://idahoaviation.com/resources/...strip-network/

While that part of ID has great adventures, I mostly fly out in the Owyhee's. Great natural beauty and a lot of dirt strips. As a basic example look up Owyhee reservoir: http://www.airnav.com/airport/28U

Cheers
    Last edited by aeroaddict; 11-23-2023 at 11:20 AM.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

As you said if you’re thinking this time of year probably better to go down towards
    Bluff and Utah strips. If you want to go further get over to Death Valley, Saline Vally
    and Chicken Strip. Off airport easy is Bonnie Clair lakebed dry camping required.
    Bonnie Clair is BTU 310/24nm. Flying Death Valley is fun but stay below the MOA,
    sometimes 200 agl max. Those F18’s will come over flying their Low Level training

Appreciate the current replies.
    Our trip is actually going to be this summer May, June or July.
    I was hoping to start a thread which gave some highlights throughout our country, not just for myself but others who are looking for some good Back Country areas.
    Without a question the Utah/Idaho region is loaded with great places. We can certainly include those areas for others who would like to visit.
    If folks would like to throw in one good local area that you like we will have quite a list of places to visit.
    Additionally, when you add your favorite area, include the time of the year you may like to visit.
    Last edited by Lee; 11-26-2023 at 08:54 PM.

Any tips on how you handle the MOA's out in Owyhee zone? Mountain home website paints a slightly scary picture.

b

Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post

While that part of ID has great adventures, I mostly fly out in the Owyhee's. Great natural beauty and a lot of dirt strips. As a basic example look up Owyhee reservoir: http://www.airnav.com/airport/28U

Cheers

Pretty basic skills are required.

Make sure you can hit a spot on landing. Most of the sites you can "go around".

Watch the wind and afternoon DA"s.

Backcountry frequency: 122.9
    Last edited by aeroaddict; 12-09-2023 at 06:50 AM.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Not back country, but drop in Urbana Ohio, Grimes field, and visit the Champaign aviation museum. B17 under construction. There are river sand bars in SW Ohio near there you can hit also.

Good grass strip at Urbana as well as paved runway. Restaurant on the field and 24 hour self serve fuel. Very popular on weekends. Restaurant might be closed on Monday. Closes at 2 pm on Sunday. Museum mentioned is worth the trip over. Urbana is now the site of MERFI, mid east regional fly in.

Another great spot in the panhandle of ID
    Moose Creek (1U1)-Nice grass runways (2300' + 4100') that are accessible by by just about any aircraft. Great camping, typically along north side of approach end of rwy 04. Ranger station with drinking water the N. end of rwy 04. Blue ribbon fishing in the Selway river and Moose creek. Good hiking trail down to river.
    Just east, over the mountain is Hamilton Mt. (KHRF) good place for fuel-Choice Aviation. Leave Moose Creek flying south up the Selway river to Shearer (2U5) then head E. up the canyon over Lake Como. Vey picturesque. I typically land in the grass-several areas W. of Rwy. Stop in at Naps (down town Hamilton-5 min drive) for their "Napes Deal", a giant burger with fries. Add the bacon and grilled onions for an extra treat. The meal is big enough for two.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lee; 01-29-2024 at 10:11 PM.