Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine failures at full aft throttle? Lycoming 363i

Default Re: Engine failures at full aft throttle? Lycoming 363i

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    There is no need to stop the engine to test the idle mixture. Simply set throttle on idle stop, slowly lean mixture while monitoring rpm. At correct mixture there will be a small rise then rpm will reduce. As soon as peak is passed richen the mixture, run at moderate rpm, then repeat the test.

The test must be done slowly as there is a significant lag in displayed G3X data.
    Here is what mine does when I lean it at idle. About a 60 RPM rise. I was finished flying so I just let it shutdown after it peaked. Interestingly the engine seemed to idle about 60-70 RPM higher at the end of a 1 hour flight versus after the runup before the first flight of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhal747 View Post
    Here is what mine does when I lean it at idle.

Thanks for that report. Hard to read the display but it looks like close to sea level and standard temperature. I'd be happy with that idle but if I get it that good in the AZ summer it's going to be wrong again in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Thanks for that report. Hard to read the display but it looks like close to sea level and standard temperature. I'd be happy with that idle but if I get it that good in the AZ summer it's going to be wrong again in the winter.
    Yes, it was at ~100 ft MSL and 13 C. I don't mind seeing the idle mix slightly on the rich side at this temperature because when it starts getting into the -5 C range in a few weeks that will probably be about right.