Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aural annunciations silent after software update

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Aural annunciations silent after software update

I finally got around to updating my G3X software to 9.22. And just like the last time I updated the software, all of my aural annunciations have gone silent. That includes things like autopilot disconnect, terrain warnings, airspeed alerts, and AoA. Last time, I was in Yakima and Scott Mowrey knew how to fix it. I spent hours today going through the G3X menus, but no joy.

What am I missing?

Default Re: Aural annunciations silent after software update

Check the audio setup. The warning sounds normally come thru Aux1. Make sure the squelch is set. The default setting is 30%.
    Last edited by JohnC; 08-09-2023 at 11:15 AM.

Thanks, that was the issue. Aux 1 had been disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by kshunz View Post
    Thanks, that was the issue. Aux 1 had been disabled.
    did it stay selected after you changed it back? Mine was on v9.21 and suddenly all audible alerts stopped. No change in software or anything. In the config menu under audio panel, the aux 1 was not selected. I selected it and then testing in the SOUNDS menu and it worked but when I SAVE AND REBOOT…… it unselects it (or won’t save my “select” on aux 1” and turns it back off so it won’t work.

i updated to v9.31 and still does the same thing? Anyone else?

I think you should be able to make Aux 1 active from the audio panel, without going into configuration mode.

Quote Originally Posted by kshunz View Post
    I think you should be able to make Aux 1 active from the audio panel, without going into configuration mode.
    no it has the GMA245R audio panel and when in normal mode. There is no option for the alerts audio. You can go into “terrain” etc and turn those specific ones off in. Or mail mode but nothing I can find for the aux 1.

this is what Garmin replied below. They said they currently know of 2 other Carbon Cubs with the same unresolved issue.

The alerts issue is something that I think is related to either the Cub Crafters' configuration of the GMA 245 or something software-related. We are still looking into that.
    Last edited by Ddorough; 12-15-2023 at 12:13 PM.

I checked with our avionics team on this. This is a known issue with 9.31 and Garmin said they will probably fix this with the next software update.

When installing 9.31, for some reason the audio panel deselects the AUX 1 input from the G3X display. This can be remedied by going into the audio menu and re-selecting AUX 1. As long as the display isn’t put into the configuration mode it will stay selected; otherwise, it will reset in config mode and will have to be re-selected when it re-boots into normal operation.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    I checked with our avionics team on this. This is a known issue with 9.31 and Garmin said they will probably fix this with the next software update.

When installing 9.31, for some reason the audio panel deselects the AUX 1 input from the G3X display. This can be remedied by going into the audio menu and re-selecting AUX 1. As long as the display isn’t put into the configuration mode it will stay selected; otherwise, it will reset in config mode and will have to be re-selected when it re-boots into normal operation.
    Well according to Garmin, the CC wiring of the harness is incorrect. CC wires the mono alert from the pfd to the GMA245R "AUX" pins (pins 21 & 22) but Garmin says the alerts coming from the pfd must be connected to an unswitched, "ALERTS" input in the GMA245 (pins 31 & 32).

Here is what Garmin said specifically when they saw this .... "

The mono audio output on the GDU provides audio alerts for connection to an UNSWITCHED input on an audio panel. In your install the audio alert from the GDU is connected to AUX 1. AUX 1 is a SWITCHED input into the audio panel and is the reason why your alerts do not work because AUX 1 becomes unselected. Alert audio should be connected to one of the alert inputs on the GMA245R. This would make the alerts always active because these inputs are UNSWITCHED.

Best Regards,
    Marc
    Experimental Aviation Product Support
    G3xpert@garmin.com or 866-854-8433

The wiring diagram that CC uses is this one showing the Mono Alerts from the PFD going into pins 21 & 22 of the P2401 connector on the GMA245R, which is the AUX inputs.

CC 245R.jpg

And....here is the correct wiring according to Garmin for that P2401 connector showing pins 31 & 32 as the "ALERTS" inputs.

Garmin.jpg

So I guess we need to go into that connector and change those pins right Pete?

Thanks
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    So I guess we need to go into that connector and change those pins right Pete?

Thanks
    Y'all hear any follow up regarding this?

Ugh, that sounds frustrating! I ran into the same problem after updating my G3X. I found that the audio settings sometimes reset to default, so double-check if the annunciations are enabled. If that’s not it, try a full reboot—sometimes that does the trick. When I had this issue, Garmin support was pretty helpful too.