Thread: Route Recommendations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Route Recommendations

I will be picking up my FX3 in the not to distant future from Yakima and flying it back home to Kentucky. While I've done this twice before, both times in two days, my wife is going and wants to do a scenic tour of California. Any specific routes and recommended stops before heading east?

Thanks,

David

Default Re: Route Recommendations

You could fly the "San Francisco Bay Tour". Golden Gate Bridge, Bay Bridge, Alcatraz, Marin, San Francisco, Silicon Valley, Alameda Naval Air Station (closed), Moffett Field/Hangar 1, Stanford, Berkeley, Linear Accelerator, etc.

There is a "cheat sheet" available. I took a WINGS seminar and flew it. So, I don't have/didn't need the map. One can do it without. The Class B controllers will state areas to avoid, west of 101, below 3000, etc. Request the "Bay Tour" and direction of travel. You could also travel a route beneath the controlled airspace without talking to the controllers. But it's pretty busy airspace. All this can done on your way south to other CA attractions.

https://sjflight.com/BayTour.htm

Depending on your interests, there are many lakes and dams. Plus, Lake Tahoe, Napa, Sonoma, Sonoma Raceway, Mt. Shasta, Lake Shasta, etc.

Down south, there is Chino. Great flying museums.

cb