Thread: G3X Touch firmware 9.12

Default G3X Touch firmware 9.12

Garmin G3X Touch firmware version 9.12 is now available and seems to include several useful updates. The one I'm most interested in is the improvement to audio traffic alerting. Based on my discussion with Garmin I'm expecting this to change from the simple "traffic!" alert to a more useful direction, altitude, and distance specific alert.

Direction and altitude specific alerting has been available as an audio output of the GTX 345R but it is not wired on CubCrafters aircraft e.g.

"Traffic! Two O'clock low, two miles".

https://www8.garmin.com/support/down...=7129#Instruct

Default Re: G3X Touch firmware 9.12

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Garmin G3X Touch firmware version 9.12 is now available and seems to include several useful updates. The one I'm most interested in is the improvement to audio traffic alerting. Based on my discussion with Garmin I'm expecting this to change from the simple "traffic!" alert to a more useful direction, altitude, and distance specific alert.

Direction and altitude specific alerting has been available as an audio output of the GTX 345R but it is not wired on CubCrafters aircraft e.g.

"Traffic! Two O'clock low, two miles".

https://www8.garmin.com/support/down...=7129#Instruct
    Garmin issued a SB regarding 9.01 and earlier versions related to the autopilot trim function misbehaving, which will be cured by the update to 9.12.

The typical autopilot install does not include trim control, although I have seen information on adding that function to the G3X set up on the Cub and contemplated doing it, but then decided the trouble was not worth it.

So there may be another reason for upgrading to the new version (although this point is above my pay grade and I claim no autopilot expertise).

Garmin GFC 500 Autopilot Notice
    Notice Number: NOTC2741

Garmin has identified an issue with GFC 500 autopilots with optional auto trim installed in certified, experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft, including certified installations installed with optional GSA 28 pitch trim in accordance with Garmin STC SA01866W. This issue may result in an uncommanded automatic trim runaway when the autopilot is first engaged. This condition could result in a sudden and significant deviation from the intended flight path.

Garmin Service Bulletin 22112 Revision A requires operators of Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft to update system software or disable the autopilot or trim control prior to further flight.

For non-certified aircraft, Service Bulletin 22112 Rev A is available at: https://support.garmin.com/en-US/avi...FZ5AvovG4LF6l5

Quote Originally Posted by ceslaw View Post
    So there may be another reason for upgrading to the new version (although this point is above my pay grade and I claim no autopilot expertise).
    The change to audio traffic alerting is the main reason I want this update. I had asked Garmin to implement this and was told they were working on it.

Lots of other changes listed in the release notes.

Looks like Garmin released version 9.12 with inadequate testing. 9.13 is now available.

Looks like Garmin released version 9.12 with inadequate testing. 9.13 is now available.
    Dang. That will make the third time I've updated the software in the last month

What was the issue that prompted the 9.13 update?

Quote Originally Posted by ceslaw View Post
    What was the issue that prompted the 9.13 update?

Changes made from version 9.12 to 9.13:

• Add touch screen failure annunciation
    • Correct GSA28 hardware monitoring <<<<<
    • Includes update to G5 software version 8.17
    • Includes update to G5 boot block software version 2.40
    • Includes update to GSA28 software version 5.30/2.60 <<<<<

I assume the urgent fix for the trim issue was not properly implemented. The rest of the change list (not shown above) seems to be the same as 9.12

It will be interesting to see if the G5 update fixes the problem that it remained powered by the internal battery when master turned off after the 9.12 update. It should count down and turn off but it didn't until external power cycled a second time.

The good news was the the directional traffic alerting worked in 9.12.

The STC GDU 4xx firmware has not been updated since June 2022.

It will be interesting to see if the G5 update fixes the problem that it remained powered by the internal battery when master turned off after the 9.12 update. It should count down and turn off but it didn't until external power cycled a second time.
    I now suspect this was related to G5 "on ground" logic and availability of GPS ground speed. My G5 is configured to auto power down only on ground. I may not have had a reliable GPS signal as firmware update was done in the hangar.
    Last edited by Andy; 12-17-2022 at 07:00 AM.