Thread: ballast for flight test

Question ballast for flight test

Anyone have suggestions or lessons learned for flight test ballast? I'll start Phase 1 for my FX-3 shortly, and I'll be looking to get to max gross weight and aft CG points. I have a few shot bags and can pick up some cases of water. Securing them seems like the trick.

Default Re: ballast for flight test

Quote Originally Posted by kshunz View Post
    Anyone have suggestions or lessons learned for flight test ballast? I'll start Phase 1 for my FX-3 shortly, and I'll be looking to get to max gross weight and aft CG points. I have a few shot bags and can pick up some cases of water. Securing them seems like the trick.
    I did not attempt to explore the weight/CG envelope in phase 1 of my FX-3. This would be important when flight testing a new design but I considered the FX-3 design to be mature and to have been tested "into the corners" by CubCrafters.

The operating limitations you will be issued do not require you to evaluate or document your aircraft weight and CG range.

I'm curious, though, about performance. I have a POH "template" for the FX-3, but few of the performance tables apply to my configuration (prop, tires, etc.). (I realize that the nature of Cub flying probably makes that data less consequential than for other planes I fly. But I'm an engineer, and engineers abhor a data vacuum.) I've been told that I'll get a POH specific to my airplane on delivery, but I suspect it will have those same performance tables. Does that sound right?

Quote Originally Posted by kshunz View Post
    I'm curious, though, about performance. I have a POH "template" for the FX-3, but few of the performance tables apply to my configuration (prop, tires, etc.). (I realize that the nature of Cub flying probably makes that data less consequential than for other planes I fly. But I'm an engineer, and engineers abhor a data vacuum.) I've been told that I'll get a POH specific to my airplane on delivery, but I suspect it will have those same performance tables. Does that sound right?
    You will receive a hard copy AFM/POH with the airplane but little of it will have been changed from the template. I don't have mine in front of me but I think the only changes are the addition of your registration and perhaps serial number and the addition of an equipment list and weight and balance data specific to your aircraft.

Unless CubCrafters has changed how they do this the performance tables will still be for a variety of configurations none of which may match your aircraft.

edit to add - I also received a memory stick which included a PDF of the flight manual.
    Last edited by Andy; 10-21-2022 at 08:15 AM.