Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: More TCM cylinder problems in O-200A

Default Re: More TCM cylinder problems in O-200A

Paul, bummer..hope its nothing!
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

Just did a compression test 76,72,74,76. there up a little from last time.Stock cylinders 211hrs,seems like you here alot of blow by out of exhaust.Compressions are ok, is it just louder because of the performance exhaust?The one that seemed to have the most was 76/80.

Just as a point of reference for those used to the idea that anything under 60/80 is bad, you may want to check out Continental SB03-3. The differential reading must be referenced to the calibrated leak which establishes minimum acceptable leak reading for the tester used, and a borescope inspection may be needed to assist in determining return to service or repair.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by txcub View Post
    Well, Continental agreed to have all 4 cylinders sent to Mattituck for inspection and repair to resolve the issues. One new exhaust valve and guide, checked guides, ground seats, reseated valves, cylinders lightly honed, new rings and new bushings put in rocker towers (previously there were no bushings in the towers, just in the center!). Mattituck recommended using TCP all the time. Hope this will solve the issue.

Jon
    Well after only 50 hours on all 4 cylinders being worked on by Mattituck (Continental) during which brass bushings were installed in the rocker shaft shoulders, a very fine brass colored dust is apparent in the oil filter material. Continental is sending 4 new cylinders. However, right now looking at having Performance Aircraft in Arkansas do their valve/guide work to fix the "new" cylinders or trying to find out if new ECI cylinder assemblies that have many other enhancements will still allow the aircraft to remain in S-LSA status. Any others that have put ECI Titan Nickel/Carbide cylinders on a Sport Cub? It shows they are PMA or STC'ed. Doesn't say if they are the same compression pistons as Continentals.
    Jon

We put four new ECi cylinders on a customer's Sport Cub here in Atlanta about three months ago, and the results have (so far) been outstanding. The compressions are really good, no metal in the oil filter, and engine running great! As long as the compression ratio doesn't change, the engine still meets the Continental Type Certificate, and the airplane can remain S-LSA. (I also run ECi cylinders on my Beech Baron, and have for about ten years, 2000 hours - great product, in my opinion.)

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

Quote Originally Posted by chipallen View Post
    We put four new ECi cylinders on a customer's Sport Cub here in Atlanta about three months ago, and the results have (so far) been outstanding. The compressions are really good, no metal in the oil filter, and engine running great! As long as the compression ratio doesn't change, the engine still meets the Continental Type Certificate, and the airplane can remain S-LSA. (I also run ECi cylinders on my Beech Baron, and have for about ten years, 2000 hours - great product, in my opinion.)
    Thanks Chip
    Were they the Titan Cylinders with nickel barrel? ECi shows two options for the O-200. I think someone mentioned before that it has to be the ECi P/N with the STC. Do you remember or have the part number listing that was used to work with our newer O-200?

Jon

I'll check with the owner tomorrow and try to get a part number for you.

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

Well sent engine out last week. From what I understand Hes is putting a bigger guide & bigger valves in,said that will eliminate the problem.Im also having 9-1 pistons, flow matching,balanced and he is also installing a new low end torqe camshaft which is really suppose to make it come alive.I have had the exhaust ceramic coated inside and out and reworked the exhaust brackets so you dont have to replace bolts every 50hrs.very easy fix if it works Ill post pic for every body. I talked to a few who has done this conversion on other planes and say it is awsome.
    Should get it back in a few weeks. Talking to Continetal they thought 78/80 74/80 67/80 62/80 was perfect.
    Chuck