Thread: CC363i operator's manual

Default CC363i operator's manual

Yesterday I finished the build of a new FX-3; can't wait to fly it!

In the Maintenance Manual template supplied by CC, for engine operation it references Lycoming Operator's Manual #60297-12. Of course, that Lycoming manual doesn't say anything about a CC363i, and there are a lot of IO-360 variants. Is one of them (like the IO-360-B1G6) a close cousin?

One thing I'm trying to track down is whether I can burn UL94 fuel in it. Lycoming has a Service Instruction (1070AB) on that, but you need to know the engine model. Best I can tell, if it's an IO-360-B1G6 then the answer is "yes".

Thanks,
    Scott

Default Re: CC363i operator's manual

Lycoming's designation for the cc363i is YIO-360-EXP128.

The IO-360-B1G6 you reference appears to be an 8.5:1 compression ratio engine. The cc363i is setup for 9:1 compression ratio. All else being equal, the higher the compression ratio, the higher the fuel octane rating you need to use to avoid pre-ignition and detonation. We also run an ignition system that advances spark timing on the cc363i, which could make detonation more likely using lower octane fuel.

I won't say definitively one way or another whether 94 UL is close enough to get by on, I think that would be a better question for Pete Dougherty or Brad Damm. Give them a call, you should have their numbers. I'm guessing that they won't recommend that you use 94 UL, but I might be wrong! I haven't explored the option because we don't have Swift 94 UL where I live as far as I know.

Here is a thread about mogas in the 9:1 titan340 engine used in other carbon cub models: https://forum.cubcrafters.com/showth...40CC-use-mogas
    I realize that swift 94 UL is better than mogas for our engines, but there are some relevant discussion points in the thread.
    Last edited by Narwhal747; 08-28-2022 at 04:28 AM.

Thanks for the information. In addition, I received a response from Lycoming which included this:

"For on-condition maintenance and general operation, the engine is similar to the IO-360-N1A."

For the IO-360-N1A, there's a Maintenance Manual and an Engine Installation and Operation Manual available on their web site. The Maintenance Manual has many references to an Engine Service Manual, but so far I haven't been able to locate that.

Quote Originally Posted by kshunz View Post
    Thanks for the information. In addition, I received a response from Lycoming which included this:

"For on-condition maintenance and general operation, the engine is similar to the IO-360-N1A."
    The N1A has magnetos, 8.5:1 compression ratio, different spark plugs, different injection servo, and a different induction system. It's a sad reflection on CubCrafters and Lycoming that there seems to be no data for the YIO-360-EXP128 engine used in the FX-3.

Doesn't matter if you just want to know about oil changes. It's bit more important if you want performance data for this specific engine.