Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Landing lights (wigwag) tripping breaker

Default Re: Landing lights (wigwag) tripping breaker

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
    I always use same routine, IBBS, Master, start, power avionics, landing lights to wig wag ( middle position ) strobes. Ive never seen the breaker trip, thus don't know what clues there might be when its tripping. For all I know, I could be knocking it with my headset or something. Its been noted out several times ( maybe 3 or 4 altogether over some period of time ) The first time I didn't think much of it, but several more times noting it out caught my attention. Hope this clarifies what I know. Jim

Just to clarify, the switch for the landing lights that is off-wig/wag-steady is a regular toggle switch not a breaker/switch. The circuit protection will be a separate breaker. Your post here made me think maybe you are referring to the switch moving from wig/wag down to off? This would almost have to be an accidental bump and not the same as the breaker popping out.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

The breaker that keeps tripping is the 5 amp breaker labeled "landing lights" in the left wing root. Ive been flying with them off for now, but yesterday after fueling I taxied back to the hangar, with the landing lights on the 5 amp breaker actually tripped. Wasn't bumpy, just hot. First time Ive witnessed it in real time so a short likely somewhere that I cant find. Probably take it to my service center in West Palm. Thanks, Jim

I spent some time trouble shooting my plane (which is the one that Dave has been posting about). I haven’t put a multimeter on anything yet.

In wigwag mode, the starboard light will flash and port side light is not flashing. When I switch it to landing light mode, it immediately throws the breaker.

My plan is to pull the port side landing light and see if it is getting proper intermittent wig wag power, if so that would indicate that something between the wig wag box and the light (including the light itself) could be shorting.

I’m hoping its a problem with the light itself.

Here is a link to a post where I test the wiring harness after installation. https://forum.cubcrafters.com/showth...ll=1#post22501

Scroll down to that section which says this:

2CC50015-6AE8-456E-AE15-9DC47D8D494C.png

After checking the voltage at the left/port landing light (12v), if no voltage then that wire connects into the wires coming from the main harness there at the wing root at the forward spar. It’s easy to remove the covers. They are just small sheet metal screws holding them on. The wire numbers are in this post that connect the landing lights. You can check voltage there in wig wag and in landing and see what happens.

Next connection for those wires is at the wig wag box itself and then from the box to the breaker and switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnardog View Post
    I spent some time trouble shooting my plane (which is the one that Dave has been posting about). I haven’t put a multimeter on anything yet.

In wigwag mode, the starboard light will flash and port side light is not flashing. When I switch it to landing light mode, it immediately throws the breaker.

My plan is to pull the port side landing light and see if it is getting proper intermittent wig wag power, if so that would indicate that something between the wig wag box and the light (including the light itself) could be shorting.

I’m hoping its a problem with the light itself.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Had my cub at the service center today ( West Palm ) and they replaced wigwag white box, they have seen problems with these boxes before. I think they cost almost 500 bucks, so not an inexpensive fix.
    fingers crossed, trip home no trips of breaker yet.

Thanks for the update!

Had my cub at the service center today ( West Palm ) and they replaced wigwag white box, they have seen problems with these boxes before. I think they cost almost 500 bucks, so not an inexpensive fix.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Well I guess that changes my strategy a little. I will test my wigwag first. Sounds like a defect in the box. Maybe Pete will warranty them for us……?

ok, plot thickens. Flew about 10-12 flights running the wig wags the whole time (15 hours) without a trip in the landing light circuit after having the flasher box replaced by the service center. Yesterday, noticed the landing light breaker again tripped. This morning, in attempts to troubleshoot, found the right wingtip aeroled Nav/strobe to be completely out. A bit frustrating, call into the service center once again. Of note, I cant find any breaker for the nav lights/strobe. Should it exist?

Jim

Of note, I cant find any breaker for the nav lights/strobe. Should it exist?

Jim
    The nav and strobe lights use breaker-switches rather than a separate breaker and switch. If the breaker-switch "pops" the toggle will move most of the way towards off on it's own. To reset, move it all the way off then back to on.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc