Thread: Windscreen before wings ?

Default Windscreen before wings ?

Hello all,

I would like to do as much as possible at home, in my workshop, before going to an aerodrome for final assembly.

Is there a contraindication to install the side windows and windscreen before mounting the wings?

Thanks,

Y.

Default Re: Windscreen before wings ?

Quote Originally Posted by PBY Catalina View Post
    Is there a contraindication to install the side windows and windscreen before mounting the wings?
    If you check the CubCrafters production line cameras you will see windows and windscreen are fitted at station 7 long before the wings are fitted.

Red face Re: Windscreen before wings ?

Good afternoon Yves.

You can NOT really install the windscreen before the wings unless you have a jig made up like CC uses at the factory. If you read ahead to the finish manual for that, you will see that you have to run a straight edge across the top of the wings and install the windscreen top level or just proud of that. So without wings you can find that spot unless you make a jig using ribs.

https://forum.cubcrafters.com/showth...ll=1#post22862

I install the window frames when working on the fuse but the actual side windows I wait until the very end. They have to be painted on the bottoms to match the bottom of the bottom windshield liner (and you set it in place to match the bottom of the window). You can install the side windows but you will see in my posts about it that I recommend doing them almost last. The reason they block both sides off and make it harder to reach in and work on the wing root areas and just more chances to get a scratch or something on them. When connecting all the wing root wiring, fuel,lines, flap connecting rods, etc etc., it’s much easier to not have it there so you can reach around with both hands and makes access to those items much easier. You’ll see when you get to that.

Hello all,

I would like to do as much as possible at home, in my workshop, before going to an aerodrome for final assembly.

Thanks,

Y.
    Last edited by Daveembry; 08-04-2022 at 03:31 PM.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Thanks Dave and Andy,

I see that can at least prepare the bottom windshield liner.

The airfield is 1h30 min away from my home.
    So, I have the idea of doing an intermediate step in a hangar near my home to adjust the wings for the first time, and mount the flaps and ailerons.

But that means I’m going to have to put it all together one first time, and then take it all apart to get to the airfield….
    What do you think? Is that a bad idea?

I know what you mean. I have a 30 minute drive to my hangar so not as bad as you but I always do as much as I can at home. I build at my house in an oversized 2 car garage (but it’s 10’ longer with that 10’ x 22’ work area in front of the 2 car garage) and I still park one truck in the garage! I like working at home because I sometimes go out and work 15 minutes or 3 hours. When I drive an hour round trip (3 for you), I always stay several hours to all day to make it worthwhile.

Personally I would not do everything twice. A lot of wasted time. I build wings entirely and then take them to the hangar, paint them and prep them and leave them there.

Then I build and cover the fuse, take it to the hangar and paint, then bring it back and install the avionics, boot cowl, engine, tail feathers (except not rudder yet) install, window frames, flap handle, side & baggage door, interior baggage carpet, fit side panels (but remove), gear, brake lines, etc. When I roll it out of the garage to take to the hangar with the gear on, I can’t put the tires on until it’s out of the garage because it won’t fit under the garage door header (7’) with the rudder or wheels on. I install the wheels in the driveway and roll it up on the trailer and off to the hangar.

The windshield just takes a few hours. It really isn’t hard and you want to be sure it’s level or just above the top of the wings because the forward wing root panel wraps around the wing root and the windshield at that point and has to fit perfectly to looks right. You could build a fixture if you had a spare center and leading edge ribs and you could make a spar to mount it up to the wing attach points on the fuse but you’d spend more time doing that than just waiting and installing the windshield with the wings in place.

In the end, remember the bottom of your side window needs to line up with the bottom of the windscreen liner (so you install that liner on the boot cowl so it lines up with the bottom of the window). Then you mark and paint the bottom of the side window up to the top of that liner. Then you set you rear “D” windows in place and mark them so the paint (either with a D design or level across the bottom if not) lines up with the top of the paint on the side windows. Then, when you look at that entire side, all the paint lines up.

Keeping this in mind, I suppose you could actually place the liner on the boot cowl in the correct position, install the rivnuts, etc but not do anything on the sides or top of the windshield yet because the way you make the top of the windshield fit flush with the wings is (with the windshield in the liner at the bottom) by moving the top of the windscreen forward or aft until it’s level with the wings and then you cut it to fit and to the top crossbar.

https://youtu.be/Vsra2cOhjPc. Side Windows

https://youtu.be/Uc4ga6WI2V4 Windshield Install Part 1

Thanks Dave and Andy,

I see that can at least prepare the bottom windshield liner.

The airfield is 1h30 min away from my home.
    So, I have the idea of doing an intermediate step in a hangar near my home to adjust the wings for the first time, and mount the flaps and ailerons.

But that means I’m going to have to put it all together one first time, and then take it all apart to get to the airfield….
    What do you think? Is that a bad idea?
    Last edited by Daveembry; 08-05-2022 at 10:03 AM.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Thks Dave !

Very useful explanations !!!

Still few more works to do on the engine installation, and then I'll have to decide where to do the final assembly.

Exciting, Yves! Getting closer.
    I will have to come visit again in the spring when we are flying back to Switzerland, and check on your progress!
    Rick

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    CubCrafters Dealer for AZ/NM/UT/CO/southern WY
    www.suncountrycubs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bosshardt View Post
    Exciting, Yves! Getting closer.
    I will have to come visit again in the spring when we are flying back to Switzerland, and check on your progress!
    Rick
    In spring, even if my CC is not yet ready, my old J3 will be there !

I look forward to that!!!

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    CubCrafters Dealer for AZ/NM/UT/CO/southern WY
    www.suncountrycubs.com