Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Insurance policy renewals

Default Insurance policy renewals

I recently went through the requoting process prior to insurance renewal and got my quotes which had gone up about 10-20% since 2021. After I got my bound policy I noticed that the policy lists named pilots only. My broker attempted to get this addressed with USAIG and was told that they no longer are doing open pilot warranty due to too many issues with Cubcrafter losses.

The prior open pilot warranty was 500 hrs tt, 100 CG, and 25 make and model.

Has anyone else noticed the same?

Default Re: Insurance policy renewals

Quote Originally Posted by n789am View Post
    Has anyone else noticed the same?
    Starr still offered open pilot coverage at my FX-3 renewal earlier this year. I chose to change to a different carrier for a substantial reduction in premium but that coverage is named pilots only.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Starr still offered open pilot coverage at my FX-3 renewal earlier this year. I chose to change to a different carrier for a substantial reduction in premium but that coverage is named pilots only.
    USAIG was the only carrier I could find that would still do 1M smooth. Avemco's policy was about 25% less than USAIG's comparable policy and did still offer open pilot warranty which was only 25 hours tailwheel and 5 hours in type.

I'm tempted to drop the 1M smooth since 75% of the time I'm flying by myself but have that coverage in my other aircraft and kind of kept it out of habit.

Quote Originally Posted by n789am View Post
    Avemco's policy was about 25% less than USAIG's comparable policy and did still offer open pilot warranty which was only 25 hours tailwheel and 5 hours in type.
    Avemco would not quote for my FX-3 and would give no reason. I have about 6,000 hours including nearly 800 tail wheel. Was your Avemco quote for an FX-3?

Avemco would not quote for my FX-3 and would give no reason. I have about 6,000 hours including nearly 800 tail wheel. Was your Avemco quote for an FX-3?
    I suspect it has to do more with the hull value. They wouldn't quote my cirrus either and asked what I was looking for in terms of hull coverage and I indicated 375k. I only have 150k hull on my Carbon Cub SS.

-George

Who did you switch to? My Starr renewal quote is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by freeland_aa View Post
    who did you switch to? My starr renewal quote is terrible.
    aig.

I type "AIG" in upper case but it gets changed to "aig" lower case.
    Last edited by Andy; 09-16-2022 at 04:13 PM.

Just bound coverage a few days ago on my new to me SS. Went with AIG because they cover STOL competitions. Couldn't get open pilot for mine either. Price was a decent bit higher than my coverage from a few years back with STARR.

I predict we are just about to see Carbon Cubs become uninsurable. The losses are unacceptably high with a back drop of an insurance market in turmoil. The FX-3 runway environment accident rate is the leading problem. Just look at the NTSB database. Sad thing is the NTSB database undercounts the accidents. It is much worse than the numbers suggest.

There are many reasons why this is happening. Time to do something about it. It must start with the manufacturer.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

My Ex now costs 2.5 time my RV10 per thousand. Been insuring both over six years and i have over 6000 hrs, 1500 tw. Cubcrafters needs to step into this similar to what Cirrus did years ago. Liability only is a poor compromise to control insurance costs