Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Insurance policy renewals

Default Re: Insurance policy renewals

I will chime in having just gone through the insurance renewal. 76, 6500hrs, 2000 tw,cfi, atp etc etc. No accidents, violations and so on. Always insured with AIG over 15 yrs as concerned changing carriers would trigger another increase or termination. Rate increases last few years have doubled. 160k on EX, 4700 full flight. Am told by BWI that age is not the big issue. It is the airplane. This seems to be the case as insure my RV10 for 200k and 2500 full flight.
    Am going to liability on the cub. Figure I can fix the airplane in most cases.
    Cubcrafters needs to wake up that they have created an insurance nightmare on this airplane. Too many accidents. Take a page from the Cirrus experience and step in to this.

I turned 75 last month and was dreading my FX-3 insurance renewal that was due in June. The already high premium was increased but not so much that I decided to self insure or sell.

The nasty surprise was on the insurance for my low value 1975 PA-28. The rate went up but the real problem was that the underwriter required an FAA medical every 12 months! I'm flying on Basic Med. My agent did not caution me about the new limitation and I could easily have paid the premium and been flying uninsured.

I refused to accept the new condition and am seeking other coverage for the PA-28. This was Old Republic and they have lost my business. AIG which insures my FX-3 did not seem to be concerned about my age. The FX-3 premium increase was less than I had expected given the rate that pilots are destroying CubCrafters aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by kevino View Post
    I will chime in having just gone through the insurance renewal. 76, 6500hrs, 2000 tw,cfi, atp etc etc. No accidents, violations and so on. Always insured with AIG over 15 yrs as concerned changing carriers would trigger another increase or termination. Rate increases last few years have doubled. 160k on EX, 4700 full flight. Am told by BWI that age is not the big issue. It is the airplane. This seems to be the case as insure my RV10 for 200k and 2500 full flight.
    Am going to liability on the cub. Figure I can fix the airplane in most cases.
    Cubcrafters needs to wake up that they have created an insurance nightmare on this airplane. Too many accidents. Take a page from the Cirrus experience and step in to this.
    At age 78 I had trouble justifying the rate last year, received a terse email that I can expect a significant increase this year so I'm sure I will be liability only going forward.. I am the builder so I think I can fix anything that I bend or sell lots of salvage if to much to fix.

In 2023/2024 I experienced a little drop in rate this last year. Overall from 2021 a 1M / 100k policy appears to be up 3% from 2021 to 2023, and a 1M / 1M CSL looks to be up 14.5%
    Last edited by n789am; 06-30-2023 at 11:25 AM.