Thread: Timing advance display

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Timing advance display

Has anyone tried to show timing advance from the electronic ignition box to a G3X. It seems like it should work and I have the output from the boxes going to a GP input in the GEA. Just not sure how to set it up. The LSE box puts out a signal that is .01v per degree.

Dan Ballin
    N386DB first flight last week!

Default Re: Timing advance display

Quote Originally Posted by dballin View Post
    Has anyone tried to show timing advance from the electronic ignition box to a G3X. It seems like it should work and I have the output from the boxes going to a GP input in the GEA. Just not sure how to set it up. The LSE box puts out a signal that is .01v per degree.
    No I have not interfaced the ignition to G3X but I have interfaced 3 hall effect current sensors each of which required creation of custom scales, dead zones, color bands, and alert levels.

I found sufficient information in the G3X Touch installation manual but if you need more help than that I can find, or capture, some example screen shots.

Here are some examples that may help you get started. For your application I doubt you will need a deadzone but these images will show you how to set up the x and y values on the calibration screen. If you have any familiarity with plotting data on graphs it should be fairly intuitive.

If you need more help then please tell me:

name of the indicator
    maximum value of ignition advance
    minimum value of ignition advance
    display scale max value
    display scale min value
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the info. I had seen that in the G3X manual and set up a GP port, but seems that (according to Klaus at LSE) you need a box that converts the signal to 5V. Maybe, but probably not worth it for me.

Dan Bllin

Quote Originally Posted by dballin View Post
    Thanks for the info. I had seen that in the G3X manual and set up a GP port, but seems that (according to Klaus at LSE) you need a box that converts the signal to 5V. Maybe, but probably not worth it for me.

I don't understand the conversion to 5 V. The ignition manual says you can simply read the timing voltage with a DVM. The G3X is smart enough to read that voltage, perform appropriate scaling, and display the value as degrees of advance.

The show stopper for me is that I'd want readings for both the ignition modules and I don't have enough spare GP inputs.

Sounds like designing an ignition parameter display system could be an interesting project if I ever run out of things I should be doing. It would have a lot of commonality with the custom display and control systems I have designed for my amateur radio station.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I don't understand the conversion to 5 V.
    The LSE documentation seems to assume the low voltage signals will need to re-scaled for an EFIS that has fixed full scale value of 5 V for analog inputs. G3X Touch has no such restriction. You define your own upper and lower scale limits and the scale factor.