Thread: Amber Volt Light On!

Default Amber Volt Light On!

Warmed my 2011 SS up to go flying yesterday and the amber volt light was on. My instrument showed I had 14.2 volts and 2 amps as I was idling. Talked to the good folks at CC and they say it is likely an indication issue resulting from a wire grounding out. Anyone had this issue that might have some helpful info? Thanks for the consideration. Of course this happens yesterday and today is the most beautiful day we have had this spring.

Matt

Default Re: Amber Volt Light On!

Quote Originally Posted by Lostgriz View Post
    Warmed my 2011 SS up to go flying yesterday and the amber volt light was on. My instrument showed I had 14.2 volts and 2 amps as I was idling. Talked to the good folks at CC and they say it is likely an indication issue resulting from a wire grounding out. Anyone had this issue that might have some helpful info? Thanks for the consideration. Of course this happens yesterday and today is the most beautiful day we have had this spring.
    Is the "volt light" a Smart Monitor function on your aircraft? Where are voltage and current displayed? On the engine monitor or somewhere else?

If your maintenance manual schematics don't show how the "volt light" is connected then ask CubCrafters for a schematic that does. The indicated voltage and current seem reasonable so you should probably be looking for a defect in the voltage warning lamp driver and/or its connections to main bus and ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Is the "volt light" a Smart Monitor function on your aircraft? Where are voltage and current displayed? On the engine monitor or somewhere else?

If your maintenance manual schematics don't show how the "volt light" is connected then ask CubCrafters for a schematic that does. The indicated voltage and current seem reasonable so you should probably be looking for a defect in the voltage warning lamp driver and/or its connections to main bus and ground.
    Hey Andy,

On my plane, it is a little amber led that lights up to indicate a voltage issue. I got the diagram from CC with a recommendation to trace the ground from the light back to the alternator. I pulled the cowl and found where the wire connects to the alternator with a clip. I started to remove the clip, but then pushed it to see if it was tight...it went in just a little and made a click, like the plug wasn't quite fully seated. I inspected the rest of the wire and moved it just a bit where it passes through the firewall to see if it was chafing. It looked good. I started the plane and the light was off. So, was the clip loose or did I move a wire that was grounding where I couldn't see it? I don't know. I will monitor it and see what happens. I was reading voltage from my Dynon Flight Dek D180. I don't know how to add a picture here or I would post one.

Thanks,

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Lostgriz View Post
    I got the diagram from CC with a recommendation to trace the ground from the light back to the alternator.

Surprising to me that the warning light would pick up a ground at the alternator. Maybe it's a shielded wire with shield and sense wire connected at the alternator? I can't find any schematic that shows a voltage warning light.

Anyway, glad you seem to have found the problem and fixed it.