Thread: Downsizing tires

Question Downsizing tires

Hi all - I'm brand new to the Cub community as I just took delivery of a 2015 CC11-160 SS last month. I just started my training in it and I've had multiple instructors tell me that I don't want to fly with the 26" tires that are currently on it and operate on concrete (I agree). That being said - It looks like 8.5x6 treaded tires would be an option - however, I just got a quote to put that size on and it was $1,600 + just for the tires and tubes.
    Am I missing something? I don't remember tires costing that much when I've put new ones on my Cessna 340A.
    Should I look at a smaller size like 8x6? What sort of options do I have?

Any help is much appreciated,

Thx

Default Re: Downsizing tires

Quote Originally Posted by justintapper View Post
    Hi all - I'm brand new to the Cub community as I just took delivery of a 2015 CC11-160 SS last month. I just started my training in it and I've had multiple instructors tell me that I don't want to fly with the 26" tires that are currently on it and operate on concrete (I agree). That being said - It looks like 8.5x6 treaded tires would be an option - however, I just got a quote to put that size on and it was $1,600 + just for the tires and tubes.
    Am I missing something? I don't remember tires costing that much when I've put new ones on my Cessna 340A.
    Should I look at a smaller size like 8x6? What sort of options do I have?

Any help is much appreciated,

Thx
    That's just wrong. Aero Classic smoothies at Aircraft Spruce $295 each. 8:00x6 tubes at CC were $25.each
    Change yourself if comfortable just be careful not to pinch tube. If you want to spend $1600. purchase a new set of wheels then when you find turf put the 26's back on and use the 8;50's with your Summit skis, then no wheel change over.

Good advice. Do it yourself and have 2 sets, one for off roading and one for the streets.

You didn't state your experience level but IMO, if you are 'training', street tires (tires with grooved treads; 850's, 800's,...) will keep you honest and you will be a better TW pilot rather that starting with large tires which are very forgiving.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    .....rather that starting with large tires which are very forgiving.
    If that is the case why are so many FX-3 on big tires suffering substantial damage in landing accidents? At least another two added to the total in 2022! Maybe those accidents would have happened whatever tire was fitted but I doubt it.

To comment on the OP's question - The only reason not to operate on pavement with 26 inch tires (assuming Bushwheels) is that they are expensive and will wear much quicker than on dirt or grass. I would expect concrete to be worse than blacktop. However, there seems to be little point in spending a lot of money on changing to smaller tires just to save wear on the bigger ones.

I'm based on a paved municipal airport. Every flight I make has at least one takeoff on pavement and one landing on pavement. I minimize my taxi distance and always land with minimum energy. It took several months to wear the molding line off the center of my Bushwheels. If I feel the need to practice landings I go to a dirt strip.

It was just my opinion.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Desser makes a 20" tire for 6" wheels that is a compound suitable for pavement. Won't wear as bad, but you'll still get the higher deck angle that allows you to land slowest and the sight picture remains more similar to the bushwheels if that is your ultimate goal.

https://shop.desser.com/21x8.00-6-4-...detail/323831/

https://shop.desser.com/21x8.00-6-4-...detail/323276/

And for that matter which 26's are on it? Bushwheel Airstreaks or Goodyears?

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Hammond View Post
    And for that matter which 26's are on it? Bushwheel Airstreaks or Goodyears?
    Bushwheel AirstreaksTires.jpg

Goodyear makes a 26" tire also. It is not as soft a compound as the Bushwheels and doesn't flex and move around as much when taxiing. It was one of the certified options for Top Cub many moons ago. Huskies too.

Good thread: https://www.supercub.org/forum/showt...ar-tundra-tire

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal.../gy_tire53.php

It would be worth your while (and $$) to read the above SuperCub.org thread and then go to SuperCub.org and search for comparison of tire choices.

I fly the Air Streaks and they have served me very well. I have not flown the GY's. I do fly on and off pavement frequently. I think BW longevity (in my opinion) can be influenced with landing speed as previously mentioned.

The biggest issue you will read about is the difference in tire/tube construction of the 2 tires.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL