Thread: Flaps Installation EX2

Default Flaps Installation EX2

On the EX2 Finish manual Page 229, the initial preparation for the flap rod bearing installation is described as below.....

"The next steps deal with flap installation. Begin by installing the flap rod bearing to the flap in accordance to Figure FN56. (Page 230)
    Torque the bolt to 60 inch-pounds."

My problem is that there is no thread that is in place on the inner flap bolt (AN4-13) hole, so impossible to "torque the bolt", neither is there a nut to be installed on the inner end of the bolt, so there is something further to be explained?

Secondly, I cannot relate the FN56 drawing to the previous procedure, they seem unrelated, it appears the FN56 drawing relates to the flap cone attachment.

There must be a simple explanation, or am I missing something?

Default Re: Flaps Installation EX2

I don’t have the EX2 manuals now, only EX3 but they are the same. As I recall, the photos and figures don’t match and one is wrong. The correct way is for the bolt head to go on the INSIDE of the flap and has he castellated nut and cotter pin on the outside. Also the callout for that bolt is too short. Here is a link to a page I did talking about that.

https://forum.cubcrafters.com/showth...ll=1#post22888

You can see the photos do not match the figure……..always go with the figure if they are different.

83263489-6697-46F6-9BD1-CFCAAD8485DB.jpg

B31B812F-E5DA-440B-B0CD-E5ACF9E2ACE2.jpg

part of my post:

FLAPS

Flaps are pretty straight forward but there are a couple confusing areas and a wrong photo and part numbers.

Look at FINISH MANUAL, Page 3.2, FN64-3 and you will see the correct parts callout and manner to install the parts onto the flap itself. Now look at Page 3.1 and Photo 4-009 & 4-010 and you will see they are completely different. The photo shows the bolt head on the outside of the flap yet the figure shows the castle nut on the outside. Of course, according to the rules......we will follow the Figure over the photo.

You will see later when installing the flap that clearance of this screw end with the nut/cotter pin in it, next to the top of the D window is an issue to watch. So I would prefer myself to have the head on the outside for more clearance but then, how do you install a castle nut and cotter pin inside the flap?? Not. I think they use to put a locknut on the inside but since then have changed to put the castle nut and it has to go on the outside of the flap.

(See how the end of the screw will actually touch and scratch your D window at the top if not careful and if you don't have the clearance?)

OK, if you followed this thread and my post when we installed the flap cones in the FUSE MANUAL, we installed a longer AN4-14 bolt through the flap cone and not the AN4-13 shown on FN61 on Page 232. You will also note the "note" on this figure saying you can change this by 3 lengths if needed. This figure is a bit confusing so let me cover it more.

The reason I making it longer is so it will stick out further on the flap side and let us move the flap (and that screw end) out away from the D window.

Quote Originally Posted by karaka29211 View Post
    On the EX2 Finish manual Page 229, the initial preparation for the flap rod bearing installation is described as below.....

"The next steps deal with flap installation. Begin by installing the flap rod bearing to the flap in accordance to Figure FN56. (Page 230)
    Torque the bolt to 60 inch-pounds."

My problem is that there is no thread that is in place on the inner flap bolt (AN4-13) hole, so impossible to "torque the bolt", neither is there a nut to be installed on the inner end of the bolt, so there is something further to be explained?

Secondly, I cannot relate the FN56 drawing to the previous procedure, they seem unrelated, it appears the FN56 drawing relates to the flap cone attachment.

There must be a simple explanation, or am I missing something?
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Thanks Dave, Would you still apply safety wire through the drilled bolt head on the inside of the flap, I guess the need still exists?

No. That bolt used with the castle nut doesn’t had a drilled head. The cotter pin is the safety in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by karaka29211 View Post
    Thanks Dave, Would you still apply safety wire through the drilled bolt head on the inside of the flap, I guess the need still exists?
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..