Thread: control stick removal, rear

Default control stick removal, rear

Well this may seem a little elementary.
    I have an FX3 (2019) and thought I would remove the rear control stick. After disconnecting the trim wiring and removing the single fixation Bolt, I was unable to remove the stick. I tried twisting and pulling (by hand) - absolutely no movement.
    Is it just a press on connection?
    Dare I put a pipe wrench at the base? I certainly don't want to Mar, Bend or in any manner ruin the stick.
    Any tricks?

Default Re: control stick removal, rear

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Well this may seem a little elementary.
    I have an FX3 (2019) and thought I would remove the rear control stick. After disconnecting the trim wiring and removing the single fixation Bolt, I was unable to remove the stick. I tried twisting and pulling (by hand) - absolutely no movement.
    Is it just a press on connection?
    Dare I put a pipe wrench at the base? I certainly don't want to Mar, Bend or in any manner ruin the stick.
    Any tricks?
    There snug but should come right off. No pipe wrenches, maybe a rag and small pair of pliers.
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Any tricks?
    If I'm correct in remembering that it's a steel stick in a machined aluminum socket then try warming the socket with a hot air gun. Be careful to protect everything else with aluminum foil or similar.

A tap on the upper end of the stick may help free it but that may require removing any switch. If you have to resort to twisting then use a well fitting padded clamp not something crude like a pipe wrench.

If this is a common problem perhaps Pete will have some tips.

The steel stick has the aluminum stub inside of it. I would think warming it would make it tighter. If you could cool down the stub that might help but not an easy way to do that.

Not a common problem that I am aware of.

If you could get some penetrating oil in between the stub and stick through the bolt holes that might help. I suspect if you can get it to turn that would be the first step to getting it off rather than a straight pull up.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    If I'm correct in remembering that it's a steel stick in a machined aluminum socket
    Realized I had remembered it wrong as soon as I got to the hangar. Pete already posted a correction so I'll just enjoy my after fly, hike, fly day out.