Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Capstrip confusion

Default Re: Capstrip confusion

I would suggest waiting until after the wing fabric is shrunk to put the screw holes in the tank covers.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

I think the OP has standard tanks.

Regardless, spend the money for a GOOD fabric iron.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

[QUOTE=aeroaddict;28594The covers are very heavy as you know. I asked CC if I can make them out of fiberglass or carbon to keep the weight down (I'm a weight freak, but only on the plane ), but was told that the aluminum covers actually provide some of the rigidity for the wing.[/QUOTE]

Strange. I guess they've determined that the standard range wings don't need the added rigidity......

And also a single tank doesn't need to be accessible / replaceable.....but two of them do.

I'd have liked to have been in the room when they were making that determination, as I have some related questions.

Anyway, between this thread and the FB group, I believe that answers my question. I'd suggest to them to change the current manual(s), but I imagine the response would be crickets.

Had a really informative talk with Pete this morning. He’s sending the nutplates and capstrips called out for in the latest mail 12-2021 Rev B manual - which has provisions for the tank lid, even in the standard range build.

Onward!

Good to hear you got it figured out.

Glad you are back on the build, keep it going (I know you will), it is well worth it!

Cheers
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

I just sent Pete an email with the same question. Did he send you along with the new capstrip an new metal cover for the fuel tanks or is that still going to be covered with fabric?

EX-3 Capstrip rivet question

Dave E. Post #7 says that the old manual called for a CR3212-4-2 countersink rivet that sits under the pulley assembly. The new manual calls for a CR3212-4-4 rivet that is not included in the kit. Also, pointed out by Dave. Did anyone confirm that you need to procure your own -4 rivet since my kit only came with -2 and -3 sizes?

Quote Originally Posted by garick View Post
    EX-3 Capstrip rivet question

Dave E. Post #7 says that the old manual called for a CR3212-4-2 countersink rivet that sits under the pulley assembly. The new manual calls for a CR3212-4-4 rivet that is not included in the kit. Also, pointed out by Dave. Did anyone confirm that you need to procure your own -4 rivet since my kit only came with -2 and -3 sizes?
    I had submitted a change order to CC asking for confirmation of this change and yesterday Pete did confirm that the change is correct. They will get it added to future kits. For now we will need to get 1 of these for each wing. I usually just keep a running list of needed parts and then email it to CC kitsupport. I have never purchased a single thing for the kit builds, they are very good at sending missing items. (Albeit a little slow sometimes)
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Thanks Dave. I went ahead and ordered some from Aircraft Spruce last night so I can keep progress going. I guess I can skip ahead and trim tail ribs in the meantime. Thanks for the quick reply and continuous thanks for your posts and videos.