Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SBS-J16 - how long should it last when not charged?

Default Re: SBS-J16 - how long should it last when not charged?

Quote Originally Posted by hawgdrvr View Post
    And on that note now you're convincing me that I should leave the Odyssey charger connected so that it is actually keeping the battery healthy. Hmmm...
    Well that was never my intention. I have been using AGM batteries in aircraft (racing sailplanes) for over 30 years. They were always removed from the charger when fully charged.

I don't actually know why a "keep alive" is needed on the GTX GPS. My data logs show the GDU GPS acquires faster than the GTX and the GDU requires no GPS "keep alive". The approximately 50 micro amp should not be a concern for a week or two but I'd want it disconnected if storage was going to be several months.

Just a teaser - Can you find "SBS-J16" in any documentation produced by Odyssey Batteries?
    Last edited by Andy; 04-05-2022 at 06:56 AM.

No regarding the docs when reading what Dave provided.

I hear ya on the charging, my desire is to only charge when I'm away on RV trips and not flying regularly. Will see how the battery does with that. When it comes to battery health the maintainer makes sense as I don't believe there is a dedicated charge controller in the plane. I try to fly 1-2 times a week so that should be fine keeping the battery charged up.

All I want now is to get black and red back on that battery! Will do when the new one comes and then put the pulled battery on the Odyssey charger and see what it shows and maybe do some discharge tests.

Edit: a battery disconnect would be a nice feature for CC to consider so when away from the plane for an extended period of time we can have the battery in a "removed" state without having to pull it.

I was looking for a documented link between the Odessey charger you purchased and the SBS J16 battery produced by EnerSys. I can't find any Enersys documentation that recommends a specific charger for their SBS J16 battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I was looking for a documented link between the Odessey charger you purchased and the SBS J16 battery produced by EnerSys. I can't find any Enersys documentation that recommends a specific charger for their SBS J16 battery.
    I'd have to defer to Dave on that.

Is there a place in the G3X config that specifies the battery type? Maybe the G3X is acting as the charge controller?

Quote Originally Posted by hawgdrvr View Post
    Is there a place in the G3X config that specifies the battery type? Maybe the G3X is acting as the charge controller?
    The only involvement G3X Touch system has with battery type and battery charging is that it indicates voltage, current, and warning levels for these parameters. Different battery types may require different red and yellow band voltage limits. G3X does not control battery charging.

The FX-3 uses a 40 Amp belt driven alternator with an internal voltage regulator. I do not have the alternator part number and do not know how the regulator is configured. I doubt it is configured specially for an AGM battery but I may be wrong.

Perhaps someone would supply the alternator manufacturer and model number and that would lead to the data sheet or specification.

While building my EX-3, I looked up the alternator to learn more. It is made by Nippon-Denso, and meant for a Kubota tractor. It is still on a shelf in my hangar, I'll try to take a picture of the data plate later today.

John

Probably the same alternator used on the EX/FX-2; has a built-in voltage regulator.

This configuration (non certified, built-in regulator) is not unusual on EAB aircraft.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Denso 021080-0760 40 amp
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    My new SBS-J16 came today, good on Aircraft Spruce in getting it to me the next day. But as Andy alludes, now I'm stumped as to what the connection is to Odyssey and this battery as I think there is NONE. I'm curious to how @Daveembry connected with them but I think CC also lists this as an Odyssey SBS-J16. It may in fact be the best charger for this battery so I'm going to connect the pigtail and see how it works but I'm not convinced the NOCO Genius 5 is bad either.

My battery says Hawker and obviously the underlying manufacturer is EnerSys as indicated on the battery. I'm also not sure that Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) that this battery is, is an AGM battery. If you read the article below (2nd link) towards the end it says AGM batteries are not for vibration environments. I'm still trying to find the proper charge criteria on this battery as now I'm not so sure AGM is correct.

https://www.enersys.com/en/products/...powersafe-sbs/

https://batteryguy.com/kb/knowledge-...at-agm-vs-gel/

I believe EnerSys makes Odyssey but the SBS-J16 is actually under PowerSafe on the EnerSys website.

And another search shows:

What is the difference between SLA, VRLA and AGM batteries?

SLA and VRLA are different acronyms for the same battery, Sealed Lead Acid or Valve Regulated Lead Acid. This battery type has the following characteristics: Maintenance-free, leak-proof, position insensitive. Batteries of this kind have a safety vent to release gas in case of excessive internal pressure build up. AGM, Absorbed Glass Mat refers to a specific type of SLA/VRLA where the electrolyte is absorbed into separators between the plates consisting of sponge like fine glass fiber mats.
    Last edited by hawgdrvr; 04-05-2022 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    Denso 021080-0760 40 amp
    Attached Images Attached Images