Thread: Garmin G5 Calibration

Default Garmin G5 Calibration

Friends

Can anybody kindly assist me the pitch calibration of my G5?.

I have followed the comprehensive instructions 6.3.7.1 Calibration Procedure in the Garmin manual; the system calibration gives me a New Pitch Offset value of +5.5 and my measurement of the a/c pitch offset is -13.3 (aircraft in hangar in 3 point attitude) which I believe gives me a Pitch Calibration correction of 18.8 BUT the max calibration input appears to be 15.

Any guidance would be greatly received.

Sincere thanks.

Matt

Default Re: Garmin G5 Calibration

Quote Originally Posted by Stinson Matt View Post
    Friends

Can anybody kindly assist me the pitch calibration of my G5?.

I have followed the comprehensive instructions 6.3.7.1 Calibration Procedure in the Garmin manual; the system calibration gives me a New Pitch Offset value of +5.5 and my measurement of the a/c pitch offset is -13.3 (aircraft in hangar in 3 point attitude) which I believe gives me a Pitch Calibration correction of 18.8 BUT the max calibration input appears to be 15.

Any guidance would be greatly received.

Sincere thanks.

Matt
    It's a while since I installed my G5 but, to the best of my recollection, the pitch offset is the difference between instrument level and aircraft pitch level. If the instrument panel is exactly vertical (normal to longitudinal datum) then the required offset is zero. If the instrument was angled away from vertical then the offset from vertical is the angle you enter.

I set zero and the G5 pitch agrees with my GDU 465 pitch for 3 point or any other attitude. Depending on tire size the G5 will indicate about 10-14 deg nose up with the airplane parked in the hangar.

Sincere thanks Andy for taking the time to respond. Warmest regards. Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinson Matt View Post
    Sincere thanks Andy for taking the time to respond. Warmest regards. Matt.
    Sounds like you worked it out but to clarify my earlier post - If you want to use automatic pitch calibration the aircraft must be in level flight attitude. Since I already knew the GSU 25 had been calibrated for aircraft level I decided I decided not to use the automatic calibration mode and simply made a manual entry.

I used to live in Surrey (also Wiltshire and Hampshire), Where are you based?